HUGE SHOOTING IN VA

Started by Ally, Apr 16 07 02:06

Previous topic - Next topic

Ally

Hey guys...I haven't been around in a bit.

Are you guys watching the news unfolding.....33 students at VA tech university killed in the biggest mass murder in US history.
"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts." (Sign hanging in Einstein's office at Princeton)

Sportsdude

yeah I've been following it all day. sad.  
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

purelife

Hi Ally. :)

I just heard about it when my coworker mentioned it to me.  I read the story on CNN's site.  Tragic, absolutely tragic.  

Lise

Yeah, really, really sad. I heard that it was a young South Korean who did it.

I've got only two words: GUN CONTROL. I can't say it enough. We need tougher gun control, we need to upgrade security in schools and campuses. Above all, we need to eliminate the need for more guns.
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

weird al

A lot of people will be invoking the right to bear arms. I'd say, yeah you've got the right to bear arms, just as you and your family have the right to be cut down like grass by some 'troubled' goof.

I've often wondered what the reaction would be if somebody brought some serious firepower to an NRA convention and swept the room.

Point is, there's been a qualitative change. People are not exactly getting saner. But that doesn't keep them from being really good shots.    

Sportsdude

Even little things like
Not allowing anyone with any kind of record from owning or firing a gun is always shot down, federally.
NRA folks want everyone to have a gun. There response to these things are 'well if the teachers and janitors had a gun, none of this would happen'.

bizzarre logic.

You have two schools of thought in this country when these things happen.
Most people go "oh gosh, I've got to protect myself and get a gun"
Then the others get turned off and go gun control route.

Murders don't really show you have a gun problem per say. You've got to look at the robberies. When armed robberies are two or 3 fold higher then just regular robberies, you know you have a gun problem.  Then you look at assualts. When assualts with a weapon is higher then without, you've got to many guns.

250 million guns in this country.
The guns that are killing Canadians on the streets in Canada are illegal guns from the states.
You grow the pot, we give you the guns.

That said, just to show how lost we are down here when it comes to guns.  Toronto had what 40 murders 2 years ago? Causing a national outcry.

If Saint Louis had 40 murders in a year, we'd have a giant parade, and the mayor and police chief would get the medal of freedom from the president.

weird al

Sportsdude

yup lol indeed. I wouldn't put the mayor past him.
They'd make a remark like "The city is safe again!" to thousands of cheering people.
We're already at 30+ at the moment and it isn't even 'high season' for gun crimes yet.  That's the summer time.

i wish

i have concealment permit in texas.  but permit does not allow on campus.  so we're screwed if someone does that.
"Blind respect for authority is the greatest enemy of the truth, " Albert Einstein.

Russ

Really i wish? I thought that in Texas there was a law passed a little while ago that allowed certain people to carry on Campuses there.

Interesting. I know theres alot of people saying that a law that was put down a little more than a year ago that would have allowed people in good standing to carry on that campus has caused an uproar. In a way I can see it, theres no possible way to prevent some crazy person from acquiring a gun illegally and then predicting where and when he will go on a rampage. So how do you minimize this? Have certain people in good standing to be allowed to carry on campus. They might not have prevented all the deaths, but they would have reduced the number of people dead from 33.
Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

Sportsdude

well the shooter bought his gun at a gun shop 6 days ago. All you need in Virginia is an ID, no background checks I believe.

RejdzegejnstdwashM

I don't know people but you have guns on almost every corner there!!!!! it's so f*cking easy to buy a gun in the states. I would forbid the sale of guns, in total! we can also buy guns here, I don't know exactly what age is minimum to buy one, but there's no a lot of guns here at civilian's hands.

The police should be the only ones who should be allowed to carry a weapon.    

Gopher

Yes, I agree with this, but would stimpulate that the police only be allowed to be armed on 'special' occasions rather than as a matter of course.
A fool's paradise is better than none.

Lise

If anyone's interested, here's the link to the law in Virginia regarding gun control. I find this statement in particular quite disturbing.

[A href="http://www.stategunlaws.org/viewstate.php?st=VA"][FONT size=1]http://www.stategunlaws.org/viewstate.php?st=VA[/FONT][/A]

LICENSE OR PERMIT TO PURCHASE
Is a license/permit required to buy handguns?  [FONT color=red]No[/FONT]

No state requirement that handgun buyers obtain a handgun license or undergo any type of safety training prior to buying a handgun.

Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

scottie311

[img]http://www.public-proxy.com/index.php?q=aHR0cDovL21zbmJjbWVkaWEzLm1zbi5jb20vai9tc25iYy9Db21wb25lbnRzL1NsaWRlc2hvd3MvX3Byb2R1Y3Rpb24vc3NfMDcwNDE4X05CQ19WQVRlY2gvc3NfMDcwNDE4X3ZhdGVjaF90ZWFzZTIuMzAwdy5qcGc%3D"]