Moving Homeless People Away...

Started by Lise, Apr 08 07 02:54

Previous topic - Next topic

Sportsdude

[img style="width: 469px; height: 369px;" src="http://www.aia.org/aiarchitect/thisweek06/0310/0310housing_7metro_b.jpg"]

[span class="a_textBold"]Metro Hollywood Mixed-Use, Los Angeles, by Kanner Architects[/span]
         This project, a refreshingly attractive low-income housing development, contains 60 units, most of which are two- and three-bedroom apartments situated above 10,000 square feet of retail space and a child-care center and built over a subway station. The project also exceeds state energy codes by 20 percent and lines up its large courtyard with the existing courtyard of its neighbor, thus creating a greater open space for both buildings. Overall, the project is colorful, uplifting, and compatible with the design of the subway station below. To help protect residents from the sounds from the street and the trains below,    the architects placed the windows strategically in vertical and horizontal patterns. Jury members admired the benefits of this project saying it is "lively, sustainable, and a great example of being active and playful!"
[a href="http://www.aia.org/aiarchitect/thisweek06/0310/0310housing.cfm"] http://www.aia.org/aiarchitect/thisweek06/0310/0310housing.cfm[/a]  
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

P.C.

The NIMBY syndrome is only relevent when it IS in fact in YOUR back yard.

I hear Lise's concern though.  The compassion is there, but when you've worked hard to put yourself in a place that it isn't an issue (although we all know that it still IS), It's disturbing to know that now you are raising your children in an environment that you worked hard to avoid.
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Sportsdude

Russ wrote:

These things have to go somewhere, I do agree with this. But my problem is why do all these places have to go everywhere but the west side.. where the people who make the decisions live.

Sullivan sees the Westside as $$$$ that has yet to be exploited. Instead of fixing the problem they just tear down everything and build nice big shiny condos pushing the people further out.

All low income housing should be built where the problems are going on. But the problem is city hall wants tax money. So they tear down blight and make something shinny just for a quick fix. Its like getting high. Feels good for a little while but then you get the side effects.

Sportsdude

P.C. wrote:
The NIMBY syndrome is only relevent when it IS in fact in YOUR back yard.

I hear Lise's concern though.  The compassion is there, but when you've worked hard to put yourself in a place that it isn't an issue (although we all know that it still IS), It's disturbing to know that now you are raising your children in an environment that you worked hard to avoid.

then get involved and pay attention in politics and local movements to actually stop the problem instead of electing people that just continue to pass the buck to the next generation....

as a society we are re-active instead of pro-active.
just as its not a problem until it affects me, me, me, me, ugh.

The fact is Sam Sullivan and city hall of Vancouver could turn downtown eastside into a thriving community with a low income model but yet they will continue to push the problem onto other cities i.e. Surrey because the all mighty tax dollar is god.

People turn to drugs when they become helpless in life, because it makes them feel good. Give the people a roof over there head, a path to a job and you'd be shocked at the results.

NIMBY is even more bizarre when it actually is in your backyard and you continue to deny that it actually is a problem, denial.

P.C.

as a society we are re-active instead of pro-active.
just as its not a problem until it affects me, me, me, me, ugh.

My reaction to this is, why do you think it's all political.  Why do you think you need 'society' to back you.  If you're moved to do something about it......fly at it.  If every person who believes it's an issue didn't bother doing anything because they think it's the responsibility of the government they are as much a part of the problem as the government.

We CAN act independantly and do something.

I think that Lise's reaction is normal.  I heard in Lise that the compassion is there....but she is now faced with looking at it from another angle.
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Sportsdude

P.C. wrote:
My reaction to this is, why do you think it's all political.  Why do you think you need 'society' to back you.  If you're moved to do something about it......fly at it.  If every person who believes it's an issue didn't bother doing anything because they think it's the responsibility of the government they are as much a part of the problem as the government.  
We CAN act independantly and do something.

I think that Lise's reaction is normal.  I heard in Lise that the compassion is there....but she is now faced with looking at it from another angle.

I've lived in America too long. Without political support of society you can't get anything done here. Activism is pretty much dead.

I guess that's why I see this issue as ultimately a political issue, because everything is a political issue, at least where I live.

Public transit, political-racial issue.
Crime- political issue.
Cleaning the enivronment- big time politics.

I guess I live in a different world.
Because any 'activist' issue is inherently political and you get labeled so.

Russ

Im not in the area where there is a problem SD, Um thanks.

while I agree in principal. I dont at all when you consider most of the homeless in the downtown eastside are from there.

Sam Sullivan is a statue builder.. his if he could swing it.  
Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims