Same Sex Couples Adopting Children

Started by purelife, Mar 29 07 02:52

Previous topic - Next topic

purelife

I'm curious to know what you feel about same sex couples adopting children.

I know two men who are adopting a baby girl.  IMO, I feel that there is something that isn't right about it.  I don't think that adopting a boy would make things any different.  I wonder how the children are going to turn out.

Devil

I know I have no answer to that one. But, I feel if it is a same sex couple that are super parents full of love and understanding, would be a better option for a kid to be raised by an opposite sex couple full of hate and being ignored.

But, I really don't know? Just a thought.

purelife

That's true.  It's better for the child to be raised by parents who love each other rather thaan hate and/or despise one another.  

I guess that this is a pretty tough issue to comment about?

Devil

*waits for religious right wing to slam the Devil*

Sportsdude

I grew up around a lesbian couple at my church. One of my best friends growing up was their kid they adopted from the slums of india. Then they adopted a girl my sisters age back in '90 from Peru.  And now they became foster parents and are adopting this little girl from a lower income drug addicted family here in Saint Louis.

So nope, I don't have any issues with this.  All those people who say the kids grow up weird, that's completely false.  Just ask my friends the children of the gay couple.

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Russ

In equality and a fair world it should work regardless of a homogeneous or heterogeneous relationship. However this is not an equal and fair world, this is real life. Theres still blantant racism and discrimination in it.

For that reason, IMHO it is unfair and irresponsible for a same sex couple to adopt or rear a child, and to let the child grow up in amidst of that discrimination. There's no way he/she will be unaffected by that, especially by his/her peers. Kids are the worst to each other when they are young.

That being said, its only my opinion. In the end do what you want anyhow.. its really none of my, or anyone else's business what the fawk you do. Its your life, lead it how you want to.    
Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

Sportsdude

Russ wrote:
  For that reason, IMHO it is unfair and irresponsible for a same sex couple to adopt or rear a child, and to let the child grow up in amidst of that discrimination. There's no way he/she will be unaffected by that, especially by his/her peers. Kids are the worst to each other when they are young.

Only racist and bigoted people do that. That's a giant stereotype that is just not the case. My family is the best example. The people on the farm are about as narrow minded and bigoted as you can get.  Yet there are 3 gay people in our family and they don't go out of there way to say "You're going to hell because your gay."

Only people who think that way are right wing fanatics who go to places like Liberty University or Bob Jones University.

Heck, my family members down there are Focus on the Family members and yet they do not hold this view of bigotry.

There big concern is interacial marriages, and immigrants taking over everything.
[/div]
[div]

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Lise

I have no problems with same sex couples adopting. Go for it.
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

Marik

Only problem I see is that the kids will get teased about it if someone finds out.  

Gopher

In full agreement with Lise, as long as the parents are 'responsible' I see no cause to object.
A fool's paradise is better than none.