Voters Vote 'Yes', County Says 'No'

Started by TehBorken, Mar 24 07 07:36

Previous topic - Next topic

TehBorken

A story from Montana.....residents of Missoula County voted in a referendum intended to advise county law-enforcement types to treat marijuana offenses as low-profile. The referendum would not have changed any laws, but was advisory only.

After voters approved it, [a href="http://www.missoulian.com/articles/2007/03/24/news/local/news04.txt"]county commissioners overturned it by a 2-to-1 vote[/a]. They were swayed by the argument of the county attorney, who had a "gut feeling" that Missoula's electorate had misinterpreted the ballot language. The move has resulted in a flood of disaffection among voters, especially young voters. "Is there even a point to voting any more if the will of the people can so easily be subverted by two people?" one voter posted on a comment blog.[hr style="width: 100%; height: 2px;"]
This only confirms the reason why so many people simply do not vote. Votes are simply subverted, and ignorance is usually cited by those in power.

"The voters probably did not understand the wording of the ballot."
 "The voters probably did not understand what they are voting on."
"The voters are too stupid to vote so just project the illusion that their votes matter."

I for one am sick and tired of the government and those in power who think they are above the voters. Government and those who work for the Government exist to serve the public, not the other way around.

The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

Orik

\

you speak the truth tehbork....  
Never give up Never surrender Fight with ur last breath Fight 2 live & Fight 2 survive. Never say never & never say die. There comes a time when all will die A time we transcend & attain our place afterlife. My Fight is not yet done, I'm tired & I'd like to go home, But I'm not ready to go just yet.