Goat Story

Started by Lil Me, Mar 22 07 08:03

Previous topic - Next topic

Lil Me

For Russ.

link here to [A href="http://www.snopes.com/critters/mishaps/chain.htm"]full story[/A]

Two guys are walking thru the woods and come across this big deep hole.  "Wow . . . that looks deep."  "Sure does . . . toss a few pebbles in there and see how deep it is."  They pick up a few pebbles and throw them in and wait... no noise.  "Jeeez. That is REALLY [NOBR]deep . . .[/NOBR] [NOBR]here . . .[/NOBR] throw one of these great big rocks down there. Those should make a noise."  They pick up a couple of football-sized rocks and toss them into the hole and [NOBR]wait . . .[/NOBR] and wait. Nothing. They look at each other in amazement.  One gets a determined look on his face and says, [NOBR]"Hey . . .[/NOBR] over here in the weeds, there's a railroad tie. Help me carry it over here. When we toss THAT sucker in, it's GOTTA make some noise."  The two drag the heavy tie over to the hole and heave it in. Not a sound comes from the hole. Suddenly, out of the nearby woods, a goat appears, running like the wind. It rushes toward the two men, then right past them, running as fast as its legs will carry it. Suddenly it leaps in the air and into the hole. The two men are astonished with what they've just seen.  Then, out of the woods comes a farmer who spots the men and ambles over. [NOBR]"Hey . . .[/NOBR] you two guys seen my goat out here?"  "You bet we did! Craziest thing I ever seen. It came running like crazy and just jumped into this hole!"  "Nah", says the farmer, "that couldn't have been MY goat. My goat was chained to a railroad tie."

"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

pitbullca.bc

Lise

That is funny, Lil Me.

Here's another one:

[FONT face=Arial size=2]One night a burglar is trying to break into a house. He's sneaking across the lawn when he hears a voice - "Jesus is watching you!"

He jumps, turns around, but he doesn't see anything. So he starts creeping across the lawn again. "Jesus is watching you!" He
hears it again.

So now the burglar is really looking around, and he sees a goat staked on a chain by the side of the house. Thinking to himself this is very strange, the only other living thing here is that goat.

So he says to the goat, "Did you say that?"

The goat answers "Yes I did."

So the burglar asks, "What's your name?"

The goat says "Clarence."

The burglar says "What kind of stupid idiot would name his goat Clarence?"

The goat laughs and says, "The same stupid idiot that named his Rottweiler 'Jesus' "

Max Walker[/FONT]
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

pitbullca.bc

LOL....heard that one before...still makes me smile though...LOL...if Jesus was watching though....how come jesus wasn't doing anything about the burglar?  LOL...my dogs light up the night that starts the neighbours dogs too...and everyone knows that someone is where they shouldn't be

Lil Me

This is the best goat sign evar!  Pic of the day on engrish.com

"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

Russ

Lol Lil Me... that sign looks like half the signs you would see around china.

Im flattered theres a goat thread..
Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

Gopher

Russ, what exactly do people mean when they say that something gets their goat? How did this phrase arise?
A fool's paradise is better than none.

Russ

Gopher.. I actually dont know! lol, but Im going to attempt to find out.

Gopher

Obviously the matter's getting your goat, too.

Russ

[FONT size=5]Get one's goat[/FONT]
   [TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=8 width=700 border=0] [TBODY] [TR] [TD vAlign=top width="15%" bgColor=#ffffff]Meaning:[/TD] [TD vAlign=top width="85%" bgColor=#ffffff]Invoke an angry and emotional response; to aggravate, irritate or annoy.[/TD][/TR] [TR] [TD vAlign=top width="15%" bgColor=#ffffff]Example:[/TD] [TD vAlign=center width="85%" bgColor=#ffffff]People in cars often provide hand signals to communicate their dissatisfaction with your driving. They are trying to get your goat, so just smile and [A class=kLink oncontextmenu="return false;" id=KonaLink2 onmouseover=adlinkMouseOver(event,this,2); style="POSITION: static; TEXT-DECORATION: underline! important" onclick=adlinkMouseClick(event,this,2); onmouseout=adlinkMouseOut(event,this,2); href="http://www.joe-ks.com/phrases/phrasesG.htm#" target=_top][FONT style="FONT-WEIGHT: 400; FONT-SIZE: 12pt; COLOR: blue! important; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; POSITION: static" color=blue][SPAN class=kLink style="FONT-WEIGHT: 400; FONT-SIZE: 12pt; COLOR: blue! important; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; POSITION: relative"]wave[/SPAN][/FONT][/A].[/TD][/TR] [TR] [TD vAlign=top width="15%" bgColor=#ffffff]Origin:[/TD] [TD vAlign=center width="85%" bgColor=#ffffff]This may be a mispronunciation of "get your goad". A goad is a pointed rod used to urge on livestock. A modern equivalent of a goad is the cattle prod.  To goad is to stimulate into action. The phrase "goad you on" comes to mind. To "get your goat (goad)" then is to be successful in stimulating a response.  Alternative: The word gut down through the years was altered to goat. When something gets your gut, it upsets you and ties your stomach in knots.  Alternative: [A class=kLink oncontextmenu="return false;" id=KonaLink3 onmouseover=adlinkMouseOver(event,this,3); style="POSITION: static; TEXT-DECORATION: underline! important" onclick=adlinkMouseClick(event,this,3); onmouseout=adlinkMouseOut(event,this,3); href="http://www.joe-ks.com/phrases/phrasesG.htm#" target=_top][FONT style="FONT-WEIGHT: 400; FONT-SIZE: 12pt; COLOR: blue! important; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; POSITION: static" color=blue][SPAN class=kLink style="FONT-WEIGHT: 400; FONT-SIZE: 12pt; COLOR: blue! important; BORDER-BOTTOM: blue 1px solid; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; POSITION: relative; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent"]Hyperactive[/SPAN][/FONT][/A] racehorses were often given goats as stablemates because their presence tended to have a calming effect on the horses. After the horse became attached to the goat, it got very upset when its companion disappeared - making it run poorly on the track. In the 19th century, when a devious gambler wanted a horse to lose, he would get the horse's goat and take it away the night before the race, thus agitating the horse.

[/TD][/TR][/TBODY][/TABLE][A href="http://www.joe-ks.com/phrases/phrasesG.htm"]http://www.joe-ks.com/phrases/phrasesG.htm[/A]

Gopher

Really interesting, thanks for finding out.

Lil Me

more goats in the news today:
 [a href="http://www.azcentral.com/offbeat/articles/0328SprayedGoats28-ON.html"]http://www.azcentral.com/offbeat/articles/0328SprayedGoats28-ON.html[/a]

Soma

Soma