new 4x4 law need help!

Started by pitbullca.bc, Mar 20 07 08:12

Previous topic - Next topic

pitbullca.bc

I just got word that a new 4x4 law has gone into effect.  I was wondering if someone could help me find a link to it.  I heard that it was posted in the Vancouver Sun site...but to no avail...couldn't find it...could I enlist your help in finding a link to it.  Seems like some tard has taken his rig into a wildlife sanctuary...and by rights...has caused a shitload of trouble...seems that if you are caught on crown land with your monster 4x4 you can get a big fine...and I mean BIG.  Fisheries...and wildlife..and RCMP are supposed to be in on it...please help me find a link to this info...thank you in advance!

TehBorken

[a href="http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/orv.htm"]http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/orv.htm[/a]  (??)

The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

pitbullca.bc

thank you TB *bless* but I think that I am looking for BC regs...but I appreciate the help 100%!

kingy

here ya go...

[A href="http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/news/story.html?id=886ebd16-8d7f-45b3-9878-7a994ee49a07&k=25550"]http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/news/story.html?id=886ebd16-8d7f-45b3-9878-7a994ee49a07&k=25550[/A]

[DIV class=storyheadline]Victoria brings in hefty penalty for mud-boggers

[DIV class=storysubhead]Causing environmental damage with your ATV could cost as much as $100,000

[TABLE width="100%" border=0] [TBODY] [TR] [TD] [/TD][/TR] [TR] [TD][FONT class=storybyline]Gordon Hamilton[/FONT][/TD][/TR] [TR] [TD][FONT class=storypub]Vancouver Sun[/FONT][/TD][/TR][/TBODY][/TABLE] [DIV class=storydate]
Friday, March 16, 2007[/DIV]
 [DIV class=storytext] Take your four-wheel drive for a spin around a bog or go careering through an alpine meadow on your all-terrain vehicle and the B.C. government wants to hit you hard in the wallet.

It's called mud-bogging, and Forests and Range Minister Rich Coleman said Thursday he's seen enough environmental damage because of it to put drivers on notice.

Coleman introduced amendments to the Forest and Range Practices Act Thursday that will impose fines of up to $100,000 on anyone who is apprehended ripping up the wilderness with their vehicle.

"They really do chew it up. It's just unbelievable," Coleman said in an interview.

He's seen the effects on wetlands in the Kootenays and that convinced him the legislation needs to be updated to make it easier to impose penalties.

According to the Forests Ministry, people causing damage that "adversely affects an ecosystem, such as driving four-wheel-drive vehicles in wetlands, or riding ATVs irresponsibly in alpine terrain or range lands," will face the new penalties.

"It does some significant damage. These things destroy some pretty sensitive areas. A lot of time it's nesting areas for birds and the younger birds can't get out of their nests in time," Coleman said.

"There's damage to the ecosystem as well."

He said mud-bogging has been particularly damaging in the East Kootenays, where forest ministry staff have seen people doing it but did not have the legislative clout to stop them.

"They've observed as many 100 to 300 vehicles mud-bogging in a site."

He said the province has thousands of kilometres of forestry roads where four-wheel drive enthusiasts can drive without causing damage.

Although the regulatory change allows for fines up to $100,000 the actual amount of the penalty could be less depending on the circumstances and the record of the drivers who are apprehended.

Forest service staff and the RCMP will be able to apprehend mud-boggers under the new regulations and the fines will be imposed under the same legislation that governs infractions of logging practices.

If the legislation makes a difference to driving and riding habits, then it's welcome, said Moira Jaatteenmaki, vice-president of communications for ATV/BC, which represents 31 all-terrain vehicle clubs and 1,600 members throughout the province.

"The one thing we want is people riding responsibly. I'd like to know what the definitions of irresponsible and wetlands are though, so we know what they are talking about."

"We've always made it a rule -- unless there's an established trail, we don't ride there," she said. "We fully understand that if you ride in alpine terrain with an ATV it's takes years to heal the damage.

"But it's like any sport, there's always an irresponsible element or people who are just careless or frankly not thinking about the consequences of what they are doing."

She said she has seen damage to mountain ecosystems caused by careless riders and wetlands turned into mudpits in her own region of the province around Revelstoke.

[/DIV]

pitbullca.bc

what I see has to do with ATV's...I am talking about jacked up 4x4's..with tires that are 33's to 40's...the ginormous type...but we stay to established trails...that if trouble happens...we are easily found...maybe it is just a scare...to keep the off road enthusiasts inline...? dunno

Russ

You are safe Pit if you are on trails and in sites like stave lake.

Its for people that like to go through virgin areas.. like grassy fields and such.

This legislation really came about because of people running the Whipsaw and going off the paths.. The Whipsaw is partially on cattle ranges and wetlands, people were going off and ripping up fields.

The law applies to all Off Highway Vehicles (OHV's), but its really focusing on ATV's and motorbikes.. they tend to trailblaze everywhere whereas fourwheelers not so much. Think of a lawnjob on a park.. the fine for that was like 85 bucks. This is to increase the fine and make people think twice about it.

Are you a member of  [A href="http://www.bc4x4.com"]www.bc4x4.com[/A] ? I would recommend joining and browsing through there if you arent.
Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

pitbullca.bc

goodmorning..and thank you for your help TB and R...will check out that 4x4 club more indepth when the bf gets home...thanks!