sPot teH miStaKes

Started by TehBorken, Feb 27 07 02:18

Previous topic - Next topic

TehBorken

This is a job description sent to me Look at all the mistakes...and it's for a Technical Writer position. Without any question, they really need one, if only so they can post job descriptions that don't look like they were written by 5th graders.
[hr style="width: 100%; height: 2px;"]
JOB DESCRIPTION: A Senior Technical Writer with proven experience with Communications Systems (CCTV, UPS, CTS, Telephone, etc.), Software Development, Operation & Maintenance, and Training Documentation. You will be responsible for understanding CADD drawings, and creating aids like flow charts, and process flows to help in troubleshooting and repair of systems. We are looking for someone with very strong communication skills, who can own a project, and work with our existing methodology. As well as the development process.

REQUIRED EXPERIENCE: Experience writing documentation for communications-based technologies, client-server applications and technologies. Experience documentation large lardware systems and documentation Telecommunication systems. Electronics and or a Training background is a plus.

PREFERRED KNOWLEDGE: Proven experience with: FrameMaker, Visio, Word, Excel, RoboHelp Project, Adobe Acrobat, PhotoShop/Illustrator, and GUI-level documentation experience.
[hr style="width: 100%; height: 2px;"]
I'd write up all the errors, but I'm laughing too hard. Here are a few that caught my eye roght off....

"CCTV, UPS, CTS, Telephone," (Attack of the acronyms! Plus "Telephone" shouldn't be  capped.)
"drawings, and" (You, don't need, a comma, there.)
"flow charts, and process" (And you, don't need, a comma, there, either.)
"Lardware"? (Huh? Documentation for fat people I guess.)
"Experience documentation"? (Let's add the word "in" or "with" or change it to "documenting")
"documentation Telecommunication systems"? (WTF?? Let's add the word "for".))
"methodology. As well" (What the &#$%^! is that period doing there, waiting for a bus?)

The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

Aboozer

you know it is acceptable to put a comma before "and".

That's my only critique.
I am who I am, love me or hate me...f*ck you if you don't like it.

NOW WHERES MY BEER!

TehBorken

Aboozer wrote:
you know it is acceptable to put a comma before "and".

Not in that context it isn't. Read it again carefully. Stylistically, it's wrong. Honest.

Sportsdude

I was always taught in school to but a comma before and after listing things. If that's wrong then that's public education for yeah at it's finest.    
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Sportsdude

ah didn't see that, yeah that's wrong. You're only suppose to use and once in a sentence. He went to the school and then to work and then home and then he took a nap.  That's really bad grammar.  
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Aboozer

CADD [SPAN style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold"]drawings, and[/SPAN] creating aids [SPAN style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold"]like [/SPAN]flow charts, and process flows to help in troubleshooting and repair of systems.

The only thing I see wrong is the amount of times he used "and". He used it 3 times when he should have used all comma's and used "and" just before the repair systems.        
I am who I am, love me or hate me...f*ck you if you don't like it.

NOW WHERES MY BEER!

Lise

LOL. Lardware. Classic.

Shall I send in my application minus the bra?  
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

TehBorken

Aboozer wrote:
[div style="font-style: italic;"]CADD drawings, and creating aids like flow charts, and process flows to help in troubleshooting and repair of systems.[/div] [div style="font-style: italic;"] [/div] The only thing I see wrong is the amount of times he used "and". He used it 3 times when he should have used all comma's and used "and" just before the repair systems.

I would write it this way:

"You will be responsible for understanding CADD drawings and creating aids such as flow charts and process flows to help in troubleshooting and repair of systems."

[/div][div]