Alfred Hitchcock Movies

Started by Lise, Feb 24 07 06:56

Previous topic - Next topic

Gopher

North by North West is, I think my favourite  - but then I've enjoyed most of them.  
A fool's paradise is better than none.

Marik

mmm The Birds wasn't that great (suffered from over-acting.. especially when they were at the gas station), but I guess that's how it was done back then. Probably scared a whole bunch of people when it came out though.  

Lise

Anyone seen Psycho? That's another classic. The re-make was so bad, it was laughable. Note to directors of today, DON'T re-make a great movie classic.

Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

P.C.

I think what makes Psycho so great, is that the violence was 'implied'.  You didn't SEE the horror, it was left to the imagination......the music, the camera angles, snippets in flashes etc. all so strategically done.  Todays movies have it all in your face....no skill.  Just hacking and tearing and gushing. (blaaaachhh....I just made MYSELF sick)
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Adam_Fulford

P.C. wrote:
I think what makes Psycho so great, is that the violence was 'implied'.  You didn't SEE the horror, it was left to the imagination......the music, the camera angles, snippets in flashes etc.
> snip

Anthony Perkins also displayed great subtlety and nuance in his role of psycho serial killer.  The awkwardness and innocence that he conveyed in the villain's persona made it much more creepy than it would have been if he performed it in an over-the-top way.  The film score, the setting, dynamic camera shots (to this day, filmmakers debate on how the water shooting directly out of the showerhead was shot), the rythmn of the movie all were great.  Even enjoyed the expository speech (usually a no-no in film) from the psychiatrist at the end.