What's the ONE......

Started by P.C., Feb 19 07 08:45

Previous topic - Next topic

Sportsdude

I was and am very good at history/geography/civics etc.  I struggled and struggled in math.  They never taught it the way it needed to be taught to me.  Instead of throwing numbers at me I need the history of those numbers. If they taught math more like history I'd do fine.  
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

P.C.

OK.....let me see if I can help SD.

Before 2 there was a 1..........................

Before 9....... there were 8....................

Something like that anyway  [img style="CURSOR: pointer" onclick=url(this.src); src="http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/more/bigs/c007.gif" border=0]
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Russ

well pc.. I know that 6 is afraid of 7, because 7 8 9.
Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

TheAngel

well i tried to pay attention to all my studies, but math has never been my strong suit.

i suppose i could have paid more attention to english.  when i was in grade 11, one of the teachers pulled me aside and informed me that i had a first-year university student's vocabulary level, even though i was only in grade 11.  the study of language is probably my favorite subject.

Sportsdude

LOL PC LOL

Now I was more talking about the history of math and the people who came up with the jargon. You throw numbers at me I get lost.  Every other subject talked about who developed this and or what happened here.  In science when we'd talk about some knew formula created we spent a quarter of the class talking and reading about the person and their findings.  In English, we talked about what the person was doing at the time when he or she wrote what they wrote.

Basically to me math didn't have that history element and my visual learning mind suffered greatly.

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."