The "I have nothing Interesting to Say" Thread

Started by Lise, Feb 06 07 02:40

Previous topic - Next topic
|

purelife

It turns out that my car is going to be a write-off.  I put a full tank of gas in there and cleaned the car last weekend... May it RIP....   I brought a lemon car!!!  *cries*

I'm feeling so sad right now.    

Sportsdude

oh no...  

sorry to hear what happened.

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Orik

Gigantic hugs to PL at this time of loss  
Never give up Never surrender Fight with ur last breath Fight 2 live & Fight 2 survive. Never say never & never say die. There comes a time when all will die A time we transcend & attain our place afterlife. My Fight is not yet done, I'm tired & I'd like to go home, But I'm not ready to go just yet.

P.C.

Oh no purelife !  How can that be ?  From a broken timing chain ?  

I'd get another opinion.
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

purelife

I trust my mechanic.  It's because the timing belt died and I have an interference engine which means that when a timing belt has gone kaput (when you leave it at the last minute), it severely affects the engine.  The cost to fix the valves, pistons and likely the engine, will cost upwards of $3,000.  The guy who sold me the car told us that the timing belt was fixed.  We purchased it at 150K.  I took his word, trusting him.....  I'm the type of person who trusts people a little too quickly, believing that everyone is honest.  What a letdown.

We haven't been having the best of luck and this year has been the shittiest year ever for me.  But, I'm still praying and hoping because things get better...right?    

P.C.

Aww, so sorry purelife.

Is there a possiblity that you might be protected by the Lemon Law ?  I know American law says used car sales are to be assumed 'As Is'....EXCEPT when the seller volunteers false information.  I don't know if our Lemon Laws are the same, but it might be worth looking into.  

P.C.

I agree Michel.  It doesn't necessarily mean he isn't trustworthy.  It could be something he is overlooking or unfamiliar with.

purelife

Fixing it by putting the timing belt and water pump is just under a grand.  The mechanic said that it runs but the engine, valves and piston isn't right.  It costs money to look into the car, especially getting to the timing belt.  (this is from what I understand)  I already have to spend $500 including towing charges for this car that's going to the scrap yard.  I already know that the engine is gone.  This seems to be the result of a failed timing belt.

Maybe this is a blessing in disguise.

ADD:  No lemon law policy here, P.C.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/background/consumers/auto-arbitration.html

49er

if you don't need a car everyday you may want to consider joining zipcars in lieu of owning

purelife

Hey 49er!

I thought about that too, cuz our company has a special rate with them. I just have to look into it deeper. :)

Sportsdude

Yeah Zipcar. I'm going to sign up for that. For UBC students its only 30 dollars annually, 9.75 an hour, 63 dollars a day, free gas.

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Russ

Sorry to hear this PL.. yeah, with an interference engine it means when the timing belt breaks, the valves stop in one position and the pistons on the crank keep turning and kiss the valves. Id asked this and thought you had a noninterference engine when you said your mechanic told you timing belt and water pump... Thats too bad.

Michel.. for junkyard stuff to fix this you have to get a complete engine. Either that or buy new pistons, conrods, valves and get teh heads and block redone then rebuild the engine. Not worth it. It might be worth to find a used engine.. but then again probably not. Labour like you said is what kills things like that.

Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

purelife

Russ, do you know which cars have the noninterference engine?  

Blesses to everyone.  Thanks for listening to my rants.

|