We must talk

Started by Gopher, Feb 02 07 11:58

Previous topic - Next topic

Gopher

Why does almost every soap regularly feature a scene in which a conversation is talkng place between two people, and suddenly one of them says, "We must talk", aren't they already doing this?
A fool's paradise is better than none.

Sportsdude

I dunno but its a common thing now to say lets talk even though you're standing right next to the person. Usually it means something is going on in the relationship or the person is about to dump you.  
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

TehBorken

Gopher wrote:
Why does almost every soap regularly feature a scene in which a conversation is talkng place between two people, and suddenly one of them says, "We must talk", aren't they already doing this?

Good question. It may be because the people that watch soaps aren't very bright, and they have to be given a clue.

It''s like why do people look at the phone when they don't get a dial tone? Do they think they can see the missing dial tone or something? I'm not sure I'd even know what one looks like. Like, "Oh, look, there's the dial tone!"

The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

purelife

And it's kinda like me who like to press the crosswalk button a gazillion times.  (when you're only supposed to press it just once)  hee hee.. ;)  However, I don't press the elevator floor button more than once because it lights up.  I press it once, I know that I'm going to that floor.     Yup, these are my "moments." ;)

P.C.

I always think "we must talk" means let's get past the pleasantries and small talk and discuss a more pressing issue.
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Russ

Ive never noticed this cause I dont watch soap opera's.. full stop.    
Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

purelife

Same here Russ.  But I agree with PC's definition of "we must talk."  I don't think that I've had to use that phrase in real life though.  I wouldn't use that phrase anyways.  I would probably say "hey, I've got something to share with you." or if something has been bothering me or if I want to discuss "feelings" and our "relationship" I'll probably just start talking about it.  It might start with "something's bothering me...."

Russ

I think this answers everything.

[img alt="" src="http://207.201.249.220/miggle/forums/images/smilies/Sheep1.gif" border=0]

purelife

Just curious Russ, do you carry a flash card of a goat whenever you and RSS want to discuss "feelings?" ;)  Do you flash it to her when she starts saying "we must talk" or something.  ;) hee hee..

Sportsdude

I've heard the lets talk before in real life.  Its never a good sign.    

Russ

When girls say we need to talk about our relationship.. guys should start looking for a new one then. Thats my experience.

I just get strange looks from her PL when goat is mentioned, and she carries on like it was never said.

Sportsdude

ah i see but first you've got to break up with the other girl. right?  

purelife

When girls say we need to talk about our relationship.. guys should start looking for a new one then. Thats my experience.

How about when guys ask to talk about the relationship?  

Sportsdude

Hmmm, that scenario usually happens when the guy is more mature then the girl.  My cousin who is 19 was dumped by this guy in his mid 20's because he wanted to settle down and she just wants to party and be wild.  

tenkani

I want to settle down but I haven't found the right goat yet     :(
For thou art with me; thy cream and thy sugar they comfort me
Thou preparest a carafe before me in the presence of Juan Valdez
Thou anointest my day with pep; my mug runneth over
Surely richness and taste shall follow me all the days of my life
And I will dwell in the house of coffee forever.