Breastfeeding in public

Started by purelife, Feb 02 07 09:10

Previous topic - Next topic

purelife

My b/f and I were in Winners one day and saw a mom breastfeeding her baby.  I have nothing against breastfeeding in public.  But, what caught our initial attention was that she would hang her boob out (showing the nipple) and then put her baby up to it.  I would've personally tried to cover it as much as possible.  I, as a female, found that disturbing and my b/f just found it more disturbing.  I'm more of a private person. I wouldn't want any people to glance at my nipple/breast if I was breastfeeding.   I'd use a cotton cloth or something.

What do you feel about breastfeeding in public?  I am defintiely for it.  When the baby is hungry, you have no choice.

TehBorken

purelife wrote:  [div style="font-style: italic;"]What do you feel about breastfeeding in public?  I am defintiely for it.  When the baby is hungry, you have no choice.[/div]
Americans are fine with breasts as long as they're used to sell cars, shoes, deodorant, candy, mouthwash, jewelry, appliances, vacations, sunscreen, speakers, coffee, and practically anything anything else under the Sun, but not when they're used for what they were originally intended for- feeding babies.

I'm okay with breastfeeding in public, no problem at all, but I also think a little discretion is a good thing too.

The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

Sportsdude

I don't have a problem with it.  I don't get the big deal over it to be honest but here in puritain america though some lady would have screamed bloody murder or covered her kids eyes.  
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Russ

You know what? I tend to think that women in general get more offended over things than men do.

But thats just my viewpoint.. and Im sure its about to be proven wrong, lol.
Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

P.C.

I have no problem with breast feeding in public either.  BUT...I don't just think 'a little discretion' would be nice....I think it's required.  I don't think that a breast becomes any less a breast when there is a baby on the end of it.  When moms feed their babes with a little receiving blanket over their shoulder, it allows us to see it for the beautiful thing that it is.  
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

purelife

I tend to think that women in general get more offended over things than men do.

I agree with you on that one, Russ. (generally speaking, of course)  Not all women get offended or sensitive over issues all the time.

Russ

P.C. wrote:
 I have no problem with breast feeding in public either.  BUT...I don't just think 'a little discretion' would be nice....I think it's required.  I don't think that a breast becomes any less a breast when there is a baby on the end of it.  When moms feed their babes with a little receiving blanket over their shoulder, it allows us to see it for the beautiful thing that it is.

ding DING! I agree with this. A little modesty consideration for everyone around.. goes along way.
Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

purelife

I agree as well PC. Discretion is definitely a must in public.  If you're around women in a public breastfeeding washroom, then, that's a different story.  But when there are a mixture of men and women, young and old, boys and girls, that's a different story.  

Ah, receiving blanket.  That's the word I was looking for.  I just called it a cotton cloth.  hee hee...    

Lise

OK. I'm doing the breast feeding part now so I know this issue initmately. It shouldn't be a problem at all if you're breast feeding in public. Why not? There's nothing against the rule that says you can't.

However, a little discrection is all it takes. I don't know many women who would want to whip out their boobies for the world to see just so they can feed their little ones. There are so many methods you can use that will hide you and your breasts while breast feeding.

I have nothing against a woman breast feeding bare in front of me either. In the past, this would have made me terribly uncomfortable but when you're finally a mommy and you're doing it, it doesn't seem that big a deal any more.

My only concern is for those people who would yelled at you for doing that in public. I once heard a woman commenting to another mother about breast feeding in public. That she shouldn't do it in a restaurant. Her words were something like this, "I wouldn't do it in restaurant so why should you?" I felt like saying it's my given right to breast feed anyway I want so who are you to tell me what I should and shouldn't do?

Bottom line, I'm all for breast feeding in public and it should really be up to the woman whether she wants it done discreetly or not. I'm not about to step in and tell her otherwise.
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

P.C.

Lise wrote:

I have nothing against a woman breast feeding bare in front of me either. [FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #bfffdf"]In the past, this would have made me terribly uncomfortable[/FONT] but when you're finally a mommy and you're doing it, it doesn't seem that big a deal any more.

The problem then becomes, that there are still a whack of 'spectators' that AREN'T , mommies yet.  
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

purelife

Bottom line, I'm all for breast feeding in public and it should really be up to the woman whether she wants it done discreetly or not. I'm not about to step in and tell her otherwise.

[/DIV]Agreed Lise.  Oh, that other women has some nerve to tell her what she should and should not do.  I say, keep your beliefs to yourself.

Lise

Agreed. Too many naysayers (men in general - but I'm not saying the ones here) out there who THINK what's best for mommies to do this and that when they're not in her shoes.    
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

Sportsdude

wow lise if I was a woman and somebody told me something like that I'd be freakin' pissed! Why people have the never to tell somebody what they can and can't do when its a natural course in nature is freaking beyond me.  Some people should just keep their mouths shut.

And boy if somebody talked to my future g/f or wife that way and I was around, oh boy I'd be livid.

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Lise

Somehow picturing you breast feeding, SD makes me want to scream in public.
Bill Cosby.

purelife

Hey, you never know Lise...with the way science is going... ;)