What's in a name?

Started by Lise, Jan 12 07 03:07

Previous topic - Next topic

Russ

Lise wrote:
 I kept my maiden name. It was easier to spell than his. Plus you won't believe how much airport security looks at you if you had his name.

Gopher wrote:

......[FONT color=#0000bf]Lise bin Laden?[/FONT][/DIV]

LOL, sorry Lise. I couldnt help it. Theres actually a number of people in the states that had something like binLaden as their last names.. or Osama as their first name. Can you imagine their lives?
Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

Lise

No worries, Russ. Actually, you wouldn't be too far from that mark.
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

Sportsdude

you'd think my name would be easy to say but everyone butchers it for some reason.  
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Russ

You arent the only one SD. My ancestors that came over here were white... but had 'funny' sounding last names. No body could pronounce them or spell them so they were rediculed or ignored when they needed help. As such the origional last name that I bear is a modified version of what it once was, its similar but spelled in such a way that its spelled the same as it sounds.

I only recently found out my real last name a few years ago..

Bear in mind though most of my ancestors came over in the late 1800's to the early 1900's
Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

Sportsdude

Russ wrote:
 You arent the only one SD. My ancestors that came over here were white... but had 'funny' sounding last names. No body could pronounce them or spell them so they were rediculed or ignored when they needed help. As such the origional last name that I bear is a modified version of what it once was, its similar but spelled in such a way that its spelled the same as it sounds.

I only recently found out my real last name a few years ago..

Bear in mind though most of my ancestors came over in the late 1800's to the early 1900's[/DIV]
 yeah my last name is a little bizzare people don't say all the syllabols even though its a german name it doesn't look german.  I've seen it spelled to ways.  My grandpa's sister who died in '52 had it spelled differently.  But yeah I always wished I had a different last name, wish I had my moms maiden name after the famous ketchup company. (thats a clue lol) but my name is no joy.

And my name when I put my first name to my last name doesn't roll of the tongue easily so thats another drawback.

Yeah my grandpa came over after the second world war.  Grandma was born here but her parents were from Hungary and she then moved back to Hungary before the war.  Funny that my grandpa was taught english by his count dude who my grandpa worked for in Austria. (some kind of farm he was a peasant) but my grandma who was born in Ohio couldn't speak a word of english.  How odd is that?
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."