Seth just wasn't very smart

Started by TehBorken, Jan 07 07 05:16

Previous topic - Next topic

TehBorken

Sorry, Seth just wasn't very intelligent in my opinion. Chances are he would have died later using a hairdryer in the shower or something. And they're misusing the word "hero" again. What's "heroic" about doing something incredibly stupid that causes you to die??
[/p][hr style="width: 100%; height: 2px;"][a href="http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070107/ap_on_re_us/dead_young_hero"]http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070107/ap_on_re_us/dead_young_hero[/a]
[/p] CAMBRIDGE, Ill. - A teenager is being hailed as a hero for saving his aunt from a fire at their house, but he lost his own life when he went back into the burning building to search for the family's two cats, authorities say.[/p]Seth A. DeShane, 14, was pronounced dead late Thursday at the family home, which was destroyed in the fire.[/p] "He really saved his aunt," said the Rev. Kris Dietzen, pastor at Cambridge Lutheran Church. "He woke his aunt up and told her the Christmas tree was on fire.[/p] "He got her out of the house. She thought he (Seth) was behind her, but he went back inside."[/p] Dietzen said that when Seth's aunt realized the boy had gone back inside, she tried to get back in herself, but by then the smoke was so thick and the fire so intense, she had to leave the house.[/p] "She ran to a neighbor's farm, and they proceeded to call 911," Dietzen said.[/p] The fire is being blamed on malfunctioning lights on the Christmas tree on the first floor, Chief Edward Bole of the Cambridge Fire Department said. The front half of the two-story home was fully engulfed when firefighters arrived.[/p]    
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

kingy

alot of people seem to die while running back into a burning building to rescue their pets. i dont see a problem with that, i would probably do the same thing. i guess it is just a matter of knowing if you can live with yourself knowing that you didnt try anything to save your pet and instead, just let them burn to death.

kitten

That's exactly what I was thinking.  I'm terrified of fire, but I couldn't stand knowing that my cat was burning to death and I didn't try to save him.
Thousands of years ago cats were worshipped.  They have not forgotten.

Lise

As much as I love my wee little guy, I'm not sure if I could run back and save him. I have my two other ones to think about... it's a hard decision....
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

weird al

TehBorken wrote:
      Sorry, Seth just wasn't very intelligent in my opinion. Chances are he would have died later using a hairdryer in the shower or something. And they're misusing the word "hero" again. What's "heroic" about doing something incredibly stuid that causes you to die??

[HR style="WIDTH: 100%; HEIGHT: 2px"]      [A href="http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070107/ap_on_re_us/dead_young_hero"]http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070107/ap_on_re_us/dead_young_hero[/A]

CAMBRIDGE, Ill. - A teenager is being hailed as a hero for saving his aunt from a fire at their house, but he lost his own life when he went back into the burning building to search for the family's two cats, authorities say.

"He really saved his aunt," said the Rev. Kris Dietzen, pastor at Cambridge Lutheran Church. "He woke his aunt up and told her the Christmas tree was on fire.

"He got her out of the house. She thought he (Seth) was behind her, but he went back inside."

Apparently he's being "hailed" as a hero for saving his aunt's life, not for going back into the building. As for heroics, all he did was wake his aunt up and encourage her to leave.

I think the real stupidity is in leaving the Xmas tree lights on and going to bed.

And as for running into a burning building, I think that's not something your intelligence can necessarily keep you from doing. In the average burning building, you've got the residents running out and the firefighters running in. And they're not generally regarded as unintelligent - definitely a little crazy though, most of the ones I've known.

Sometimes you can't help yourself; you're compelled to do something that you're afraid to do. That's definitely in the ballpark for courage, heroism, whatever you wanna call it.