Snow Snow Snow

Started by Russ, Jan 05 07 08:42

Previous topic - Next topic

Gopher

Mesmeric is the word you were looking for.
A fool's paradise is better than none.

kitten

Not for me, it isn't.  Sometimes "La Mer" will stick for a while, but usually it will be some commercial that drives me crazy.
Thousands of years ago cats were worshipped.  They have not forgotten.

Gopher

Kitten, 'La Mer' (sung by Charles Trenet) is my all-time super-romantic easy listening favourite.  

weird al

I've had fragments of songs ricocheting around in my head for... longer than I care to admit. I occasionally wake up with the flamenco stylings of Sarita Heredia driving me crazy. And there's a jazz piece by Joe Zawinul of Weather Report, a beautiful 15-minute piece that I dug out of the vault a few years ago, and played for a few days. That stayed with me day and night for a month. Scary! I only play it every couple of years now, and only once.

That's the curse of having a good memory - you've also got a good memory for absolutely useless, annoying stuff as well.

If you could lock somebody in a room with the same song playing over and over again (why you would want to do that I don't know), what would make them crack the soonest? Pretty much anything would do the trick eventually. But "The Name Game" would finish me off pretty quick. Or "Karma Chameleon" by Bore George.

Or the Mary Tyler Moore theme song, you know, the one that goes

Who can turn the world on with her smile?
Who can take a nothing day, and suddenly make it all seem worthwhile?
Well it's you girl, and you should know it
With each glance and every little movement you show it

Love is all around, no need to waste it
You can have a town, why don't you take it
You're gonna make it after all

How will you make it on your own?
This world is awfully big, girl this time you're all alone
But it's time you started living
It's time you let someone else do some giving

Love is all around, no need to waste it
You can have a town, why don't you take it

Supposedly the cure is a constant influx of new music. Hope that helps ;-)

kitten

Even when I listen to something else, if a particular song has been haunting me it will seem to play along in my head with whatever I'm listening to.  Frightening!
Thousands of years ago cats were worshipped.  They have not forgotten.

Gopher

Same goes for me, Kitten - but I think I find it more annoying and frustrating than actually frightening. I wonder how you cure yourself of this?

weird al

Supposedly the cure is a constant influx of new music. Of course you've gotta be careful not to get too attached to any of the new stuff, or you've just added to the problem.

"repetunitis", "stuck tune syndrome", "sound virus" or, if sufficiently acute, "melodymania"

from Wiki:

[A href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earworm"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earworm[/A]