eBay purchase and gst and pst?

Started by fletcher, Dec 28 06 11:53

Previous topic - Next topic

fletcher

If you purchase an electronic device on eBay and the seller is located in the same province, do you pay gst and pst?  It is a new product compared to used - does that make a difference?  I have never paid tax on anything I have purchased on eBay before (not that I have bought a lot) and was under the impression there was no tax.  I notice other sellers do not charge or mention this tax.    Thanks for any info.  

Lise

Unless indicated, the answer is no. I've never had to pay any sort of taxes. My understanding is that the seller and buyer are individuals and the transactions are private. Not via giant companies so no taxes.
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

Russ

Ive never had to pay gst or pst on stuff bought off of ebay either even if its new.

Unless its from the states or some other funny country.
Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

Gopher

What's funny about the states?
A fool's paradise is better than none.

Russ

Good point, I was actually meaning funny country as in a country from south america or asia where you will get nailed with duties and taxes.    

fletcher

Well, thanks.  I didn't think so either.  Was gonna buy a Motorola PVR thinking I could get away with paying taxes but it says right on the page when you scroll down all BC residents are required to pay tax - gst and pst.  Other provinces only gst and US residents no tax.  This is the first time I have seen this.  Can a seller charge taxes?  I guess, obviously they can.  Unless the seller is using it as a cash grab. How can a seller charge taxes?  I just don't get this.  No big companies are allowed to use eBay like this are they?  Anyone know where I might find out more info on taxes and eBay sellers for Canadians?  Thanks again.  

Russ

If they are a registered business and also have ebay listed as a store front apparently they can. I remember talking to a buddy about this, he runs one of those ebay reseller stores.

fletcher

That is interesting.  I did not know this and still wonder about it.  There must be quite a few registered businesses that sell on eBay.  I tried to look around the 'help' section of eBay but couldn't find anything other than tax can be charged if a product is bought from a 'funny' country.  As I said in my first post, this is the first time I have come across a tax charge, but I am not a regular eBay'er.  The pvr is about $100 less than Shaw or Future Shop but I guess I can get a credit of $100 if I return my digital box and buy pvr.  (I was hoping to not pay tax, tho. - don't tell anybody). But I am not in a hurry.

kingy

certain sellers do ask for gst and pst but most people dont.

fletcher

Why would they?  It would deter many buyers.  Guess that is what happens with registered businesses - maybe.