Drinking Alcohol May Extend Your Life

Started by TehBorken, Dec 20 06 01:14

Previous topic - Next topic

TehBorken

MSNBC has an interesting article on an Italian study on alcoholism. While the obvious notion of overconsumption of alcohol being detrimental to one's health is supported, apparently drinking it in moderation can actually [a href="http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16173568/wid/11915773?GT1=8816"]extend your lifespan[/a].

A study on over 1 million drinkers and 94,000 deaths yielded the results: "According to the data, drinking a moderate amount of alcohol — up to four drinks per day in men and two drinks per day in women — reduces the risk of death from any cause by roughly 18 percent, the team reports in the Archives of Internal Medicine.

However, "things radically change" when consumption goes beyond these levels, study leader Dr. Augusto Di Castelnuovo, from Catholic University of Campobasso, said in a statement. Men who have more than four drinks per day and women who have more than two drinks per day not only lose the protection that alcohol affords, but they increase their risk of death, the data indicates.""  
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

Liz

Cool!  Does that mean I'm going to live to 100 then? Yay!

P.C.

And who says there's no good news any more !
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Lise

Drinking moderately. Not excessive, of course. I also heard the drinking a glass of red wine a day will lower the risk of heart disease. Not sure if this is right but I've heard of Italy making red wine capsule that you can take if you don't want to drink the glass amount. (Ha! Like the Italians will refuse a glass of good wine)
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

Russ

well, Im working on tonights ration of booze with my girlfriend.
Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

Gopher

Just finished work until New Year's Eve so I'll be working on extending my life very shortly.

Incidentally, red wine IS good for the heart and cardio-vascular problems, ditto dark chocolate.  
A fool's paradise is better than none.