Hurricane-like forces to hit BC

Started by Lise, Dec 15 06 07:05

Previous topic - Next topic

Lise

Meh. We're going to experience what's it like to have hurricane-like winds in BC. Prepare yourselves!

[H3]B.C. storm reaches near-hurricane-force winds[/H3] [P class=timeStamp]Updated Fri. Dec. 15 2006 9:55 AM ET

[P class=storyAttributes]CTV.ca News Staff

The third Pacific storm to hit the West Coast this week is packing near-hurricane-force winds of more than 100 kilometres an hour.

The winds have toppled trees, blocked roads and knocked out power to at least 100,000 homes.

Environment Canada said the Vancouver airport weather station is recording wind blasts of 95 km/h and in West Vancouver's Point Atkinson winds have hit almost 120 km/h.

In Victoria, wind speeds passed 100 km/h and Race Rocks, at the entrance to Juan de Fuca Strait, recorded gusts of more than 150 km/h.

The storm is expected to strike the hardest on B.C.'s Lower Mainland and Vancouver Island.

B.C. Hydro spokesperson Elisha Moreno said Friday that hundreds of repair crews were ready to begin conducting full assessments of the latest damage.

She said that crews were starting to get some "storm fatigue,'' but that staff were required to take mandatory rest times so that they could work safely.

On Thursday, the utility warned tens of thousands of residents -- mostly on Vancouver Island, the Sunshine Coast and the Gulf Islands -- to leave home until the electricity is restored.

Many of the 25,000 homes have been without power for several days and the utility said some may not be restored until Sunday -- but that was only if Friday's storm did little damage.

In Victoria, workers spent Thursday preparing for the storm by removing a third of the city's streetlight Christmas decorations.

"The ornaments were shaking so much during the last storm they smashed many of the globes from the lights," reported CTV Vancouver's Jim Beatty.

Workers also set up sand bags in case the heavy rain and winds led to flooding.

Meanwhile, construction crews have worked hard to prepare sites for possible wind damage.

The city has also warned residents to secure any objects in their yards that might be carried off by the wind.

In Port Alberni, the high winds will deal a further blow to residents already hit hard by a storm earlier this week -- especially the estimated 3,000 people still without power.

"I was born here and I've never seen anything like this before," said one man.

Many residents are still recovering from earlier flood damage, while several have yet to return to their homes.

"We've got a lot of people who are still not back in the houses where we had the flooding," said Mayor Ken McRae. "We had a couple hundred residences and commercial spaces that were flooded."

He added: "It's a tough situation. No doubt about it."

With reports from CTV Vancouver's Jim Beatty and David Kincaid

[A href="http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20061214/high_winds_061215/20061215?hub=TopStories"][FONT size=1]http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20061214/high_winds_061215/20061215?hub=TopStories[/FONT][/A]
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

Russ

Yeah, am I ever glad Im not on a tug or ship on the coast right now. This was all over the news everywhere last night. Tamara Taggert went to the UBC wind tunnel and showed you her fake self in there at different wind speeds, she could barely stand at 50.

Ill give you guys a first hand account of port alberni in about a week.
Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

tenkani

Wow. Stay safe guys    :(  
For thou art with me; thy cream and thy sugar they comfort me
Thou preparest a carafe before me in the presence of Juan Valdez
Thou anointest my day with pep; my mug runneth over
Surely richness and taste shall follow me all the days of my life
And I will dwell in the house of coffee forever.

CK

Geez! I lived in Burnaby most of my life and can't remember a year you guys are having this year!?

Its not even winter yet!

Stay warm and happy!

Lise

Oh yeah. It's record breaking time, CK. Snow early, wind like we've never seen before.... methinks Mother Nature is trying to tell us something.

Stephen Harper - stop breaking your Kyoto contract.
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

CK

I may be partly responsible. I had some chili with extra hot peppers in it the other night and well...the gas, I tell ya!!!

Lise

Ah no no no, CK!! Too early for your blaring wind!
Bill Cosby.

Russ

Hey thats a pretty cool picture Lise! Thats an oil platform in the stage where they are burning off the natural gas pockets with a flare boom. Thats where the flame is comng from and you can see the cooling water in the clouds of mist behind it.
Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

GUSTjectoR

Its an early winter, we wont see much crazy weather after mid january, by fecruary it willb e seasonable weather.

the earth is tilting its axis as we speak.

kingy

it is pretty clear that vancouver isnt ready for 'the big one' when it hits. maybe these storms are a good test.

Lise

You're right, kingy. Vancouver is NOT READY for any type of emergency. Just look at how we scramble to get things done. We need to be better prepared.

I'm not taking any chances which is why I have my emergency kit at home.
Bill Cosby.