What picture resizing program?

Started by Russ, Dec 18 06 01:53

Previous topic - Next topic

Russ

Ok, what picture resizing program do you use to beat the 300 x 300 in less than 50kb for pictures? Ive been dinking around on the net for about an hour now and finally figured out my contraption of a computer can do it... and then the size is still too big? How do I get it to that point?

thanks for any and all help. And no, give up is not an option.
Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

Lise

Don't know there, Russ but good luck in finding your answer. Perhaps post this question on DV and see?
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

purelife

You can try using WinZip to compress the file.  

I don't know if you ever use Microsoft Outlook, but when I send photos, there's a pop up asking me if I'd like to resize the picture or keep the original size before sending it out. It turned my 3.67MB picture to a 27kb.

If you want and trust me, you could email me and I could compress them through my Microsoft Outlook and send them to you.

tenkani

You are asking which application to use to compress an image?

If you happen to "own" Photoshop then that's the best bet.
GIMP is another option which carries most of the features of Photoshop with the benefit of being free.
Generally speaking, with programs like Photoshop the trick is adjusting the JPG quality slider until the file size is acceptable.

In Photoshop, open the image and select "save for web" (File > Save for Web).
You can adjust the quality slider (upper right) while at the same time keeping your eye on the file size (lower left).

You can also use "4-up" to compare the original with 3 different compression levels.

In the upper left portion of the save for web window select the "4-up" tab.

getting a 300 X 300 to less than 50k should be no problem at all. I was able to do it with a photographic image and still keep the quality at 75.

I've never used GIMP but I hear it is very similar to Photoshop.

EDIT: just read PL's reply and it made me think that maybe I misunderstood your question. Do you want to actually modify your image or just put it into an envelope and temporarily compress the file? Yeah, if you want to compress the file from outside an image editing application (it would still be the same file size when you uncompress) then winzip works fine. Also I forgot to ask what format your file is in. If it's JPG then compressing will be simple. If it's something less usefull like BMP then you may have to convert format first before re-saving in Photoshop since some formats don't compress well (or at all) in a graphics application.

I just noticed I'm dropping tons of typos. My brain isn't working. Hope this post made sense.
For thou art with me; thy cream and thy sugar they comfort me
Thou preparest a carafe before me in the presence of Juan Valdez
Thou anointest my day with pep; my mug runneth over
Surely richness and taste shall follow me all the days of my life
And I will dwell in the house of coffee forever.

Russ

I want to get it small enough Tenkani so I can post pictures on here. The limit on here is 300 x 300 in less then 50 kb.

I will try GIMP. Thanks!

PS I can understand your spelling mistakes, mine arent any good either.

P.C.

I'm not so in the know about these things, but I use that Image Shack.  Is that the kind of thing you're looking for ?????
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

kingy

i think you can actually do whatever you need to do on paint.

Russ

Maybe PC, I dont know to be honest either. It looks like the type of thing I want.

Im in the middle of downloading the GIMP program that Tenkani recommended.

If its any good Ill let you know.