I think I need help from... a troll?

Started by primefactor, Dec 08 06 03:55

Previous topic - Next topic

primefactor

My FC recommended that I throw this question out to the DS community. He's sure someone might have a helpful tip. Here's the situation:

One of the places on which I advertise for new clients for my math tutoring business is on Craig's List. I have had good luck with them, but one annoyance keeps rearing its ugly mug. More than half the responses I get are from scammers who use a cookie-cutter format which goes something like this: (But, y'know, without the sarcastic bits I've inserted...)

"Hello, teacher! I am writing you from a far away country that I may or may not be able to spell. (Please disregard the fact that my email address bears no country suffix...) My child will be spending time alone in the US, staying with a nanny/family member/family friend. I desperately want for you to teach my child, even though I don't know a darned thing about you. Please tell me the amount you will charge me for a large block of tutoring time, so I can send you a bogus cashier's check, then either send you one for too large an amount and ask you to send me the difference, or tell you that due to circumstances, my child will not be coming, could you please send back your own check for the amount I sent you."

I get DOZENS of these. First I thought they were legit, and wasn't it strange that so many people had the same story? Then I got wise and cautiously told them I deal only in cash, in person. Then I started to get downright cranky, and send them back scolding emails, telling them that if they got a little tutoring for THEMSELVES, maybe a year from now they'd have a marketable skill and could make money honestly. I know it's spitting into the wind, yes... I know I should delete their emails and let it go. But I was wondering...

Is there any way to do something via email that would be as annoying to them as they are to me? I was musing about it to darling FC, and he said put the question up to the DS folks, they're clever.

Any ideas?

Lise

That's a tough one. When you advertise on something like craigslist, you're bound to get idiots by the dozen.

If I were you, I would just ignore those emails. If they look like scam, they're probably not worth dealing with.

Have you tried advertising in local communities? They might be a better option for you.
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

purelife

Quick question, who's FC or what does it stand for?  

Lise

purelife wrote:
Quick question, who's FC or what does it stand for?

Future Canadian
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

purelife

Oh okay.

Anyways, like Lise said, just ignore those suckers.

purelife

You could send back an email saying:

I'm sorry.  Your attempt to connect to me failed.  Please send some hard core CA$H to the following account to reconnect.  Thank you.

Swift code: 123-4546-47

Bank:  HSBC

Account:  123456-7

Branch: 26

kingy

i hear that happens on ebay as well. dont know if you can really do anything about those since it is probably a bot just scanning certain sites such as craigslist and collecting emails.

Marik

Is your name Travis Smith by any chance?  

Adam_Fulford

primefactor wrote:
My FC recommended that I throw this question out to the DS community. He's sure someone might have a helpful tip.

Forward it to law enforcement.  The more of these that they compile, the more likely they can nail the perps.

As for trolling, sure, string them along. Mess with their heads.  Can't blame them for trying, though. They learned well from the colonial looters.