Shopping

Started by P.C., Nov 13 06 04:17

Previous topic - Next topic

P.C.

Is anyone familiar with Lee Valley Tools ?  I get their catalogues, and I browse their website, but what I want to know is, does the store actually carry all this stuff 'in store'?
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

P.C.

I want to know, before going there.  As I live on the Island, it's an overnighter trip to go there.

kingy

you dont want to order from their website or by phone? i get their catalogues as well and some of the stuff they have are pretty cool. i wouldnt think they can carry everything in their catalogue but i would give them a call and see if a certain store has what you are looking for.

P.C.

That's often the case kingy, so I'm a little leary of making the trip.  I believe I could knock off 95% of my Christmas shopping there.  Some pretty cool stuff for sure.  I was quite surprised at their Christmas catalogue.....something for everyone.....even some neat kids stuff.

P.C.

Oh....and by the way, I have about 40 things on my list....lol.  Catalogues are great, but I kind of like to see stuff and touch it.  

kingy

i love the collapsible vase.

P.C.

Pretty cool idea huh !!!  (that's one of the things on my list)  I also like the wasp/spider trapper.

The things I like most are all the little tool gadgets and the book of all the old woodworking 'recipes'.

Hubby has bought all the big tools for the new workshop, but some of those little things would be invaluable. Even silly stuff like the nozzle caps. (I always get in trouble for losing the cap for something)

Russ

Wheres the lee valley tools that you are going to on the island? Why does it have to be an overnighter? I went from Victoria to Port McNeil for lunch with some relatives, and back to Victoria for dinner at 6 with my parents who had come over. Then went back up to Port McNeil with them, lol. Makes sense somehow I swear.

Actually thinking about how long of a drive that was, even when I was going 140+ from campbell river on, an overnighter would have been worth it.

Thats one of the things thats keeping me from moving to the island. Everything that I am used to having around me from 24 hour convenience stores and eateries to big box stores with everything, to living somewhere awesome but its half a day to get to somewhere with stuff.
Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

P.C.

There isn't a Lee Valley on the Island.  That's why I want to go to the mainland.  It doesn't necessarily have to be an overnighter....just makes it less of a rushed day.

There isn't much we DON'T have over here.....maybe some of the specialty type places.  We pretty much have everything we need..... and if we don't, it's always a good excuse for a day trip

Russ

Not on the island.. makes sense for a roadtrip like you say. I would do the same.

I do agree that pretty much everything is on teh island. I would look into living in the portalberni and up area to max of about cambell river, thats what I meant by everything close by.. Port Alberni seems to close down fairly early except for a few bars lol.
Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

P.C.

Port Alberni and Campbell River are on opposite sides of the Island with no connector route between them, without going all the way to the junction in Qualicum Beach.

Campbell River is one of the fastest growing areas here.  There is still some amazing properties for reasonable prices north of there.  Mid island gives you access to so much in a short time.

Port Alberni is OK, but not one of my favourite places until you get a little north of there.

P.C.

Thanks for your suggestion, kingy.  I DID it !!!!  I placed my order on line. (this is new for me)  Wrapped up about 90% of my Christmas shopping.  $12.50 delivery to my door.  I couldn't go to the nearest mall and back on $12.50 worth of gas, let alone 300 bucks minimum for the trip over to Van.  No crowds, no parking, no driving.

Placed the order Sunday night, and it will be here tomorrow.

Perfect.

purelife

Oh that's awesome PC!  Very convenient to order online. :)

kingy

how much did you spend on lee valley stuff? i was just browsing thru the lastest catalogue that i got last week and they have some pretty interesting stuff. i love the spoon rest.

P.C.

Just under $1000.00.  I have to place another order today. ( I forgot a couple things)