Universal Music CEO: iPod owners are thieves

Started by TehBorken, Nov 13 06 07:36

Previous topic - Next topic

TehBorken

[h3]Way to love and trust your customers.
[/h3]
[hr style="width: 100%; height: 2px;"][h3]Universal Music CEO: iPod owners are thieves         [/h3] The CEO of Universal Music has called iPod owners thieves. In explaining that Universal required Microsoft to pay it vig on the sale of each Zune, Doug Morris said, "These devices are just repositories for stolen music, and they all know it." [blockquote]Yesterday, Microsoft agreed to share revenue from Zune sales with record labels and artists. Forcing the issue was Universal Music Group, which at deadline is the only label named in the program. UMG refused to license its music to the Zune unless it could receive a percentage of each device sold, in addition to standard music licensing fees for downloads and subscriptions. "These devices are just repositories for stolen music, and they all know it," UMG chairman/CEO Doug Morris says. "So it's time to get paid for it." [/p][/blockquote]  [a href="http://billboard.com/bbcom/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003380831"]Link[/a]  
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

Future Canadian

Can you say "outdated, broken business model"? or how about "greedy industry that's getting screwed back like they deserve"?
If I was to actually pay them what they think they should get for every song on my iPod, it would cost as much as a car. That's stupid and they know it. Music should be for as many people as possible not just rich bastards like them.
I actually do pay for songs on iTunes. I love shopping for music in my own home and having a good copy right then and there. And getting a single song that I actually want instead of the whole crappy album is handy. But some clueless labels still aren't with the program and don't make their stuff available there (still waiting for AC/DC, old Gary Numan, old De La Soul). So I just download it off the net or buy a used CD if it's not there. So they miss out on making the sale! Don't they get it? Welcome to 1998 dumbasses!

...religion has made some contributions to civilization. It helped in the early days to fix the calendar, and it caused Egyptian priests to chronicle ecplipses with such care that in time they were able to predict them. These two services I am prepared to acknowledge, but I do not know of any others

Lise

Frack! That's stupid!!!! I pay for my music from iPod, what more do they want?
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

kingy

if they think you are stealing music, you mind as well steal music. you are being accused of it anyways.

TehBorken

Future Canadian wrote:
Can you say "outdated, broken business model"? or how about "greedy industry that's getting screwed back like they deserve"?

Yep. I swear, comments like his make we want to run out and pirate some music. He alreadythinks I'm a thief, what do I have to lose? His respect?

The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

Trollio

Ask Little Richard, the Platters, Chuck Berry, the Drifters, Fats Domino, Jerry Butler, Big Mama Thornton, Etta James, Percy Sledge and many, many more who the real thieves are.
one must be intelligent to get intelligent answers.
— bebu

Russ

Im going to stick with my iPod thanks.

I agree with who the real thieves are.
Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

Sportsdude

I don't use file sharing I use itunes. Some bands are stupid though. If it wasn't for itunes I wouldn't have discovered half the bands I listen too, I bet I'd really like Radiohead but of course they're not on itunes because its against what they believe in. Yeah okay sheesh grow up.
Just ask James Blunt, Snow Patrol and many others who owe there careers to itunes.
RIAA is run by a bunch of idiots.

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Future Canadian

Word SD!
I wouldn't be on the Wolfmother bandwagon if I hadn't got a free download off iTunes.
And I've made more fans of them (and plenty others) by playing them at work (also another "unlicensed" activity). By the music industries' argument, I should get a cut of album sales every time I turn someone on to a new band that they then go and buy.

...religion has made some contributions to civilization. It helped in the early days to fix the calendar, and it caused Egyptian priests to chronicle ecplipses with such care that in time they were able to predict them. These two services I am prepared to acknowledge, but I do not know of any others

Marik

Why pay for something when you can get it for *free*? Besides, that guy thinks we're already thieves... I don't see the harm.  See, if I never stole music off the internet, I wouldn't know about very many groups; however, if I do steal music and find a group I really like, I buy their album. Generally, the more music I steal, the more money they make as well! (actually that might not work) ...ahahaha!