Anyone know or use Mnet ?

Started by Fishburger, Nov 09 06 10:10

Previous topic - Next topic

Fishburger

Mnet is a  kind of a distributed file storage system. You upload a file and it gets split up into a number of small chuncks which are stored in computers in the Mnet network.

From their FAQ :
Mnet is a distributed file store.

A distributed file store is a single, global virtual space into which you can put, and from which you can get, files.

You might want to use it to upload and download files. Files uploaded to Mnet stay there even if the publishing user goes offline, so it's a good way to send files to your friends even if you're not online at the same time.

http://mnetproject.org/faq

I tried it out once several years ago and I remember they must have had at that moment about 20 computers which functioned as Mnet nodes (storage/distribution servers). The other day I remembered Mnet and installed it again to see how it's doing, and I notice there is none at all. It looks like the project is dormant or worse. Apparently there has nothing been going on since end of 2005.

All it takes is a few people downloading the Mnet software and installing it, and setting it to function as nodes. That accomplished, anyone can try and test the Mnet by uploading files.

Want to contribute ? Just do it. It takes 10 minutes. Don't even have to register or anything.

TehBorken

TehBorken wrote:
The project isn't quite dormant, but close. The big problem is that Mnet isn't anonymous... Other users of the network can see your IP address and can tell what you're uploading or downloading. Not as safe or anonymous as other P2P systems like eDonkey or eMule.

I recall someone trying to make a plugin for GMail that did the same thing.

The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.