Heroes

Started by Gopher, Nov 07 06 11:36

Previous topic - Next topic

Gopher

Heroes seem pretty thin on the ground these days. Who can you think of in the last 100 years who is indisputably a hero (or heroine)?

A fool's paradise is better than none.

Sportsdude

Depends on your definition of a hero.

Does war count? Do you consider killing other people heroic?

Bonhoffer, he's a hero to me.

My grandpa and grandma are heroes to me.

Fire fighters

anyone can rise to the ocasion and become 'hero' like in my opinion.

And if you look at it that way we all are heroes I mean name things that you've done that are 'heroic' like. I know I can name a few things where I was called one but to me I was just doing the right thing.
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Gopher

My choice would have to be Gandhi. I was thinking more on the lines of prominent people rather than the down to earth heroes we encounter in our daily lives.  

TehBorken

My definition of a hero: someone who risks his or her life doing something that most people normally wouldn't do, and who isn't paid to do it. Here's an example:

[a href="http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12064900/"]http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12064900/[/a]

That guy is a hero. My definition completely bypasses police, firemen, astronauts, etc etc etc. Those people are paid to take risks, and a hero isn't.
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

Lise

My  husband. I don't tell him that as often as I should.

My parents who went through hell when they were younger. I could learn so much more from them.

My father-in-law who's unselfish and generous nature makes Superman pale in comparison.  
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

P.C.

That's one of my pet peeves too TehBorken.  Shame on the media for constantly mis-using the honoured term of hero.   People who survive brutally challenging obstacles are not heros.  People who survive a disease are not heros.  Brave, courageous, incredible human beings that they are, these things in my mind are not heroic.

Football players are NOT heros, brave or courageous, just because they play football.

I too believe the true definition of hero is someone who places themselves in danger to save another life.  I include firemen and policemen etc.  although I don't think simply BEING a fireman makes one a hero.  A heroic act will make them a hero.  Getting paid for these jobs doesn't eliminate them from this possiblity.  
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

born freew

we can be heroes. just for one day.  

kingy

i thought this was gonna be about the tv show.

Lise

That's a pretty darn good show, kingy. I love it! Especially the nerdy Japanese guy.

Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

Mutilated Mind

Gopher wrote:
Heroes seem pretty thin on the ground these days.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

That's probably because they are usually about 6 feet deep...

Gopher

Mutilated Mind wrote:
Gopher wrote:
Heroes seem pretty thin on the ground these days.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

That's probably because they are usually about 6 feet deep.............[FONT color=#0000bf]unless they've been cremated.[/FONT]