The United States ranks last on a global health care survey

Started by TehBorken, Nov 03 06 04:39

Previous topic - Next topic

TehBorken

We're number 1! In being dead last for health care, that is.
[hr style="width: 100%; height: 2px;"][h4]The United States ranks last on a global health care survey of more than 6000 doctors[/h4]  Compared to other developed countries, the United States fails to compete when it comes to the availability of after hours health care. In a study released yesterday, the US ranked last out of 7 countries when it came to primary care after hours, with only 40% of United States doctors offering after hours consultations. [/p] It is not hard to illistrate how far down the ladder the US is when it comes to health care availability after hours, the numbers speak for themselves. When it comes to after hour doctor availability without having to turn to the emergency room, the following list says it all: 95 percent in the Netherlands, 90 percent in New Zealand, 87 percent in the United Kingdom, 76 percent in Germany, 47
 percent in Canada and 40 percent in the US.[/p] "Although the U.S. pays more for health care than any other country, we are under-investing in our primary care system," stated Karen Davis, president of the Commonwealth Fund, the foundation that sponsored the survey. "Other countries have made high-quality primary care a priority by putting into place the financial and technical systems that support access to, and delivery of, such care."[/p] Source: Washington Post[/p]
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

Sportsdude

lol not suprised at all. Once my doctor leaves his office at I think 5pm thats it. I have to go to the ER. Granted I haven't had to go to the hospital for the longest time because for some reason I don't get sick much. But yeah I remember waiting for hours and hours and hours and hours at this urgent care facitily sponsored by my insurance agency when I was a kid. I'd get there at 5pm wouldn't get seen until 11pm. Then I'd go see the doctor my main doctor the next day. lol. health care is a mess.
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

P.C.

I hate to burst the bubble of the delusion of Canada's 'superior' health care system, but it's no different here.  Doctor's office hours are pretty much the same, or you are left to find your way to a 'Walk-in clinic' which can take up to 3-4 hours to be seen, or the ER.
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Sportsdude

yeah nothing perfect. Nobody here wants to bring up a two tier system and nobody in Canada wants to fix the problems in Canada without privatization of the whole system or making it a two tier system which it already is in some areas.

Plus if Canada goes offically two tier american drug companies would take over the entire market thanks to that lovely thing called NAFTA.
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."