New World Record For MS Vulnerability

Started by TehBorken, Oct 19 06 12:03

Previous topic - Next topic

TehBorken

Lol.

Not 24 hours after the release of IE7, Secunia reports [a href="http://secunia.com/Internet_Explorer_Arbitrary_Content_Disclosure_Vulnerability_Test/"]Internet Explorer Arbitrary Content Disclosure Vulnerability[/a]. So much for the "you wanted it easier and more secure" slogan found on Microsoft's IE Website.

I highly recommend [a href="http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/iclk?sa=l&num=0&client=ca-ref-pub-7561299841460471&adurl=http://services.google.com/toolbar/firefox%3Fai%3DB8ZTXEsw3RZn_Go-0hAPEveHsAdGe8hfZ45nOAcWNtwEAEAEgxv2dBUiiOVCD49ECoAG1lcj9A7IBDmRlbHRhYnJhdm8ubmV0yAEC2gE9aHR0cDovL2RlbHRhYnJhdm8ubmV0L2RjL2RjYm9hcmQucGhwP2F6PXNob3dfdG9waWNzJmZvcnVtPTEwMIACAZUCJExgCg&ai=Boa5cEsw3RZn_Go-0hAPEveHsAdGe8hfZ45nOAcWNtwEAEAEgxv2dBUiiOVC3gOzU-f____8BoAG1lcj9A7IBDmRlbHRhYnJhdm8ubmV0yAEC2gE9aHR0cDovL2RlbHRhYnJhdm8ubmV0L2RjL2RjYm9hcmQucGhwP2F6PXNob3dfdG9waWNzJmZvcnVtPTEwMIACAZUCJExgCg"]FireFox[/a].
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

Raver

Firefox, while a vastly superior product, is no more secure than IE.  The reason there are less security exploits for Firefox is because something like 75% of internet users are using IE.  

If you were going to write an exploit, which one would you target?

TehBorken

Raver wrote:
Firefox, while a vastly superior product, is no more secure than IE.  The reason there are less security exploits for Firefox is because something like 75% of internet users are using IE.

That's simply not true. For example, FireFox doesn't use Active-X which is a HUGE hole. It's also not tied directly inthe operating system so there aren't all the available exploits that IE has.

[/div] [div style="font-style: italic;"]If you were going to write an exploit, which one would you target?
 The least secure one, which is IE.

Muckraker Fiingster VIII

TehBorken wrote:
 Raver wrote:

That's simply not true. For example, FireFox doesn't use Active-X which is a HUGE hole. It's also not tied directly inthe operating system so there aren't all the available exploits that IE has.

[/div] [div style="font-style: italic;"]If you were going to write an exploit, which one would you target?
 The least secure one, which is IE.

Muckraker Flingster VIII, insolently and unnecessarily added:

[span style="color: rgb(0, 0, 191);"]After getting all sorts of weird viruses spontaneously downloading on IE and weird crap on Outlook express, I switched to Firefox for internet browsing and Thunderbird email, and haven't had any problems since.[/span][br style="color: rgb(0, 0, 191);"][br style="color: rgb(0, 0, 191);"][span style="color: rgb(0, 0, 191);"]When vulnerabilities are found on Firefox, the problem is quickly exposed and solved.  When vulnerabilities occure on IE, the problem is hidden and solved very slowly. For this reason, there could be the illusion of Firefox being more vulnerable (due to MS's lack of forthrightness).[/span]

TehBorken

Muckraker Flingster VIII, insolently and unnecessarily added:

Lol. Mind if I steal that line?

[span style="color: rgb(0, 0, 191);"]After getting all sorts of weird viruses spontaneously downloading on IE and weird crap on Outlook express, I switched to Firefox for internet browsing and Thunderbird email, and haven't had any problems since.

[span style="color: rgb(0, 0, 0);"]I had the exact same experience. All that shit stopped dead. I haven't had anything like that since.[/span]
[br style="color: rgb(0, 0, 191);"][/span][br style="color: rgb(0, 0, 191); font-style: italic;"][span style="color: rgb(0, 0, 191);"]When vulnerabilities are found on Firefox, the problem is quickly exposed and solved.

[span style="color: rgb(17, 17, 17);"]Sometimes it takes as long as 12 hours[/span] [span style="color: rgb(0, 0, 0);"]for the FireFox team to crank out a fix, lol[/span]. [/span]  Whereas Microsoft usually fixes it within a month or two. Sometimes 3.
[span style="color: rgb(0, 0, 191);"]

When vulnerabilities occure on IE, the problem is hidden and solved very slowly. For this reason, there could be the illusion of Firefox being more vulnerable (due to MS's lack of forthrightness).[/span]

Very true. Wait a minute, you mean Microsoft might conceal a vulnerability from their users??? Heaven forbid- what a dreadful thought!   lol