Coke's new product does NOT "burn calories"

Started by TehBorken, Oct 19 06 12:02

Previous topic - Next topic

TehBorken

Utter horsecrap. Coke claims to be coming out with a drink that "burns calories", trying to give you the idea that drinking it will help you lose weight. The new drink is called "[a href="http://www2.coca-cola.com/presscenter/nr_20061011_americas_enviga.html"]Enviga[/a]".
[hr style="width: 100%; height: 2px;"]
"Enviga increases calorie burning. It represents the perfect partnership of science and nature," said Dr. Rhona Applebaum, chief scientist, The Coca-Cola Company. "Enviga contains the optimum blend of green tea extracts (EGCG), caffeine and naturally active plant micronutrients designed to work with your body to increase calorie burning, thus creating a negative calorie effect.

Oh man this is such a lie..... Did they perform metabolic chamber analysis? Where is the published paper? Why do people *always* seem to fall for marketing nonsense like this? Look, the only way to lose weight is to burn more calories than you consume. It's calories in versus calories out and Enviga, metabolically will not let you magically burn more calories by consuming it unless it can somehow short circuit the electron transport chain or mitochondrial respiration and that is dangerous as hell. (Think poisons like dinitrophenol or proteins in brown fat like thermogenin).

It's too bad, because I like Coca Cola products, but this claim that it will burn excess or extra calories is simply a marketing lie.

The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

CK

I think I heard a single stock of celery would burn more calories eating it, than the amount of calories you get from it!

not a coke product!