Smile Helmet

Started by TehBorken, Oct 11 06 06:09

Previous topic - Next topic

TehBorken

[h3]Smile helmet forces a grin
[/h3] Designer/artist Tim Simpson's Smile Helmet mechanically draws the corners of your mouth back into a grin. He created it for "people in jobs which demand an unusual amount of smiling, such as air-stewards, receptionists and politicians." A video of the device in action is available on Simpson's Web site. From the project page:

"A helmet for people in jobs which demand an unusual amount of smiling, such as air-stewards, receptionists and politicians. A sensor in the front of the helmet detects anybody within a 2 metre range, at which point the mouth is pulled into a broad grin by a small servo motor and some concealed fishing wire. The helmet addresses the facades of social interaction and explores our responses to affected expressions. It is modelled here by Brendan Walker."

The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

Gopher

I once heard that when the Queen goes out in her car she wears smile clips and that by the door is a small device wearing a glove which waves at appropriate intervals. Can this be true?  
A fool's paradise is better than none.

kitten

The smile clips sound painful, but the automatic hand-waver seems like a wonderful idea.
Thousands of years ago cats were worshipped.  They have not forgotten.

Gopher

I suppose you get used to the clips after a while.

kitten

Wouldn't transparent tape serve the same purpose with less pain?

Gopher

I doubt if it could be worn inside the mouth.  

kitten

Has anyone tried?

Gopher

I'm sure they have, and I can think of several who SHOULD.