Regrets

Started by P.C., Oct 05 06 07:09

Previous topic - Next topic

Sportsdude

Lol I'd love to know that too because I can forgive others but can't forgive myself. My downfall.
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

kitten

I know that those things can't be changed, and it is reasonable to dwell on them from time to time.  You're not alone in that.  It isn't as if you were constantly obsessing ove the past.  I wish it was possible to go back and change things, but since it isn't we have to accept and go on from there.  I don't think it ever goes away, but time has a way of muting events so they become less bothersome.    
Thousands of years ago cats were worshipped.  They have not forgotten.

Sportsdude

It isn't as if you were constantly obsessing over the past.

The problem is for me is that I am. Heck when things get really bad I get down that I was born with a birth defect even though it got fixed. See I go to counsoling and they tell me to shape up and forget it. But how? It just won't go away on its own. I've tried to do that part and it just builds the only way I know I can not think about the past is just by talking about it.

P.C.

I really didn't start this to be about me.....lol.  Talking to this old fella the other day when he said he had NO regrets, took me back a little.  I just assumed everyone did.  That's what made me start thinking about the regrets I DID have, and wondered why some lingered.  Wondered how he was able to put his into proper perspective.      
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

kitten

I think you answered your own question.  You said "old fella", and that is how he could put it into perspective.  By the time you reach a ripe age, so much has happened over the years that it is just another item in a long list.  He put enough distance between his earlier mistakes and his older age that it wasn't the center of his attention any more.  A lot of things seem unimportant when you get old., because you start learning what is really important to you.

Sportsdude

I try to learn for my mistakes and errors. Most of the time my errors were out of my control but I felt the consquences from them and still struggle with them on a weekly basis. (hey it used to be daily so atleast thats something positive). The problem I run into is looking back on every error in my life. Thats not good. Because when I look back at everything then I realize what am I doing to myself. Why the extra struggles lol. And then sometimes I just do things on a whim, those are usually the goods things.  

P.C.

He put enough distance between his earlier mistakes and his older age that it wasn't the center of his attention any more.  A lot of things seem unimportant when you get old., because you start learning what is really important to you.

Good point Kitten.

Would the answers be the same, it were worded as such.....

If you could change anything you've done in the past or are there things you would do  differently, would you ?  

kitten

Yes!  I can think of a few turning points where I made the wrong turn because I didn't have faith in myself.  I would love to go back and change them.

Sportsdude

Yeah I think we all have those. Like oh I shouldn't have done that. Those type of things. LOL this a person who changed high schools because he saw a movie and decided he wasn't having any fun in his life. lol

TehBorken

P.C. wrote:
Is there anyone out there, that has lived their life, with no regrets.

Definitely not me. I have many regrets. Things I've done, things I've not done. Things I should have done. Some things I could never atone for, no matter what I do.

The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

P.C.

Hmmmm...it's a fine line, isn't it?  

I guess it's all a matter of perspective.  I see that as being almost the same as being regretful.

Well if nothing else, I just learned, it's all a matter of how you process the info ????  

TehBorken

P.C. wrote:
Hmmmm...it's a fine line, isn't it?

Sometimes.

Sometimes you think you're doing the right thing. Then the thing you've done, something in good faith, is used to do something terrible, something not intended, something you didn't realize you would make possible. And there is no going back, never.
 [/div][div]

P.C.

THAT'S IT !!!!!!

That's the sentiment I'm trying to spit out.  THOSE are exactly the kinds of things I think I'm referring to.  I don't dwell on them, but the very fact that some of MY decisions affected someone else is hard to choke down sometimes.

Gopher

Not too many regrets, but several things which, in retrospect, I'm pretty embarrassed about.
A fool's paradise is better than none.

TehBorken

Gopher wrote:
Not too many regrets, but several things which, in retrospect, I'm pretty embarrassed about.

I wish I could say that. Consider yourself very, very fortunate.