pre-written term papers?????

Started by puzzled, Feb 26 06 09:39

Previous topic - Next topic

puzzled

I can't seem to copy and paste the ad, but the google ads for 'term papers' and 'research papers' I see here lead to some surprising stuff...huge ass lists of pre-written term papers.

Some of the subjects look bogus to me (who would really write a term paper on "Famous TV Commercials"?),  BUT my real question is....is it legal to buy a term paper?  Aren't you supposed to write it yourself?? If I turned one of these in and got caught I'd expect to be expelled from school and possibly prosecuted.

primefactor

People who use these things may "get away with it," but pardon me for sounding like a goody-two-shoes when I say that they are honestly cheating themselves. The grades you get in college (or high school) are worthless if you haven't learned anything.

I am a math tutor, and I tell kids all the time that they will learn FAR MORE from a problem that they wrestle with and get wrong than an easy one that they get right.

One of the most important things I ever read about the process of learning is that we DON'T learn from our experience, we learn from REFLECTING on our experience. This is true in every area of life, whether it's academic stuff or relationships.

Hence: Bought term paper, no experience on which to reflect; thus no learning.

Alumni

Sure it's legal to buy. But when you hand it in you are taking that risk of getting caught. I think most schools would categorize this under plagiarism (i.e. claiming someone else's work that is yours, etc).

If I remember correctly, there is a site where professors or teachers can submit a student's work to have it checked for authenticity against other papers available online or otherwise. It was controversial so I don't know who or how many schools use this service.
"People Who Don't Make a Commitment to Me Don't Get My Time" - Annonymous CEO

castaway

I assume you've heard of the bogus post theory?

justlooking

Alumni wrote:
Sure it's legal to buy. But when you hand it in you are taking that risk of getting caught. I think most schools would categorize this under plagiarism (i.e. claiming someone else's work that is yours, etc).[/div][div] [/div][div]If I remember correctly, there is a site where professors or teachers can submit a student's work to have it checked for authenticity against other papers available online or otherwise. It was controversial so I don't know who or how many schools use this service.

justlooking

hmmm, That didn't post right. ?????????

My comment was "Exactly. I can't see why they're allowed to be sold at all."