URGENT WARNING: do NOT open that thread!

Started by tenkani, Feb 22 06 01:51

Previous topic - Next topic
|

weird al

[TABLE style="TABLE-LAYOUT: fixed" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 width="100%"][TBODY][TR][TD style="OVERFLOW: hidden" vAlign=top width="16%" rowSpan=2][DIV class=smalltext]

[/DIV][/TD][TD vAlign=top width="85%" height="100%"][TABLE width="100%" border=0][TBODY][TR][TD vAlign=center align=left][A href="http://discoverseattle.net/forums/index.php/topic,221.msg3385.html#msg3385"][img alt="" src="http://discoverseattle.net/forums/Themes/default/images/post/xx.gif" border=0][/A][/TD][TD vAlign=center align=left][A href="http://discoverseattle.net/forums/index.php/topic,221.msg3385.html#msg3385"][FONT color=#000000]Re: URGENT WARNING: do NOT open that thread![/FONT][/A] [DIV class=smalltext]« Reply #38 on: Feb 22 06 »[/DIV][/TD][TD style="FONT-SIZE: smaller" vAlign=bottom noWrap align=right height=20][/TD][/TR][/TBODY][/TABLE][HR class=hrcolor width="100%" SIZE=1][DIV style="OVERFLOW: auto; WIDTH: 100%"]didnt anybody's anti virus catch it. i clicked on that virus link and my anti virus popped up [/DIV][/TD][/TR][/TBODY][/TABLE]My Snor-ton didn't provide any kind of warning.  I got the pop-ups and the "Hey everybody", and managed to close the windows before it went any further. Maybe some assistance from Snor-ton? I don't know. I think it regards my computer as a virus, and any intrusions as harmless hi-jinks. I'll definitely be looking into Avast. Maybe this is just an elaborate promotion for Avast? Aaaarrrgghh!

TehBorken

Page 2 of DV

It was page 2 of one of the threads, I'm not sure exactly which one.

..... I'm almost afraid to go there.

Uh yup. I'm afraid my DV-browsing days are over. It didn't damage anything on my PC as far as I can tell (yet). I don't think it's an "infector" but I honestly don't know.

I've deleted one horrible thread... you  mean to tell me there's more???!!?!?![div style="font-style: italic;"][/div]
Looks like it.  
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

tenkani

[span style="font-weight: bold; font-style: italic;"]"[/span][span style="font-weight: bold; font-style: italic;"]Top!"
[/span]
That was quality work. [span style="font-weight: bold; color: rgb(255, 127, 0);"]Congrats [/span]     [span style="font-weight: bold; font-style: italic;"]
[/span]

For thou art with me; thy cream and thy sugar they comfort me
Thou preparest a carafe before me in the presence of Juan Valdez
Thou anointest my day with pep; my mug runneth over
Surely richness and taste shall follow me all the days of my life
And I will dwell in the house of coffee forever.

Lise

Sheeasht. Damn. I'll tackle it another day. You're lucky your site hasn't been hit yet. Keep up the good work.

K, gotta flee. Night!  
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

weird al

>That was quality work. [SPAN style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold; COLOR: rgb(255,127,0)"]Congrats [/SPAN]     [SPAN style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold; FONT-STYLE: italic"]
[/SPAN][/DIV][SPAN style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold; FONT-STYLE: italic"]   Gracias amigo. Vaya con Dios.[/SPAN]

Alumni

Oh my, just when you thought things couldn't have gotten any worse on DV - it did.

After reading the comments here, I went to that site and clicked on some threads. And yup, it happened. Curiosity certainly can kill the cat!! I consider that as one life used up. Anyway I was able to close it before anything else happened. Now I'm wondering if it left anything on my computer. I already cleared the cache.  
"People Who Don't Make a Commitment to Me Don't Get My Time" - Annonymous CEO

P.C.

TehBorken....would eliminating the 'guest' posts help avoid this ??????  (at least for now)  
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

TehBorken

P.C. wrote:
TehBorken....would eliminating the 'guest' posts help avoid this ??????  (at least for now)

Probably not, but from what I can see this board should be pretty immune to the kind of hacks and hijinks that are being used on DV.

P.C.

I don't have a lot of knowledge to back my suggestion up.  Just that it seems like if you need to invest personal info to be a registered poster, would that not deter these buffoons ?

TehBorken

P.C. wrote:
I don't have a lot of knowledge to back my suggestion up.  Just that it seems like if you need to invest personal info to be a registered poster, would that not deter these buffoons ?

The only personal info required at this time is an email address. There are lots of free email services that people could use for "throw away" registration addresses so that wouldn't really slow a malicious user down much. If needed the board can be set to require manual approval of new members, but I don't think that'll be necessary.

But again, I think this board isn't as easily spoofed as the DV software is. One of the author's key goals is security and from what I've seen code-wise, it's pretty tight.

P.C.

i  toLe ya mY knoWledGe waS limiTed in tHese maTTeRs. [img style="CURSOR: pointer" onclick=url(this.src); src="http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/more/bigs/e058.gif" border=0]

Witch

It would seem that every time DV has been haxxored it's been due to allowing the free use of html code in posts. Quite frankly I'm astounded that anyone with a discussion board would allow that. Any decent board script has that option turned off by default.

So far the code used by NP has bee relatively harmless, probably stuff he got off "L33T" wannabe boards. I know of some very, very nasty code out there which would cause some really bad crap. Let's hope he never finds it, 'cause it's obvious the board owners over there aren't going to fix the problem.  No, I'm not stupid enough to go on a rant blaming the mods. I actually tend to check things like facts and to whom I may be speaking before making an ass of myself (that oughta be worth a few more smites from the anonymous coward).

Schadenfreude

[img alt="" src="http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/5222/donotpushbutton3jv.gif" border=0]

This is me. ^^^  purelife goes and posts the link to that thread and I had to click on it.
"I used to rock and roll all night and party every day, then it was every other day.  Now I'm lucky if I can find half an hour a week in which to get funky."

CK

I just want to say Thank You for the warning tenkani! [/DIV]Looks like no more DV for me until things really change. Hold me?!

|