Newfoundland to lead nation in growth

Started by Sportsdude, Jul 27 06 02:09

Previous topic - Next topic

Sportsdude

Newfoundland to lead nation in growth

Globe and Mail

Two large oil and mining projects will propel Newfoundland and Labrador to lead the country in economic growth this year, although oil-rich Alberta will re-emerge as the fastest-growing provincial economy by 2007.

A Bank of Nova Scotia report released Thursday said that higher production at the White Rose offshore oil field and at Voisey's Bay nickel mine, coupled with record high commodity prices, will push Newfoundland and Labrador from the very bottom to the very top of the provincial growth scale in 2006.

Newfoundland's will lead the provinces with 6 per cent real gross domestic product expansion this year, Scotiabank forecasts, up from 0.4 per cent in 2005.

"However next year's growth should slow as the province's expanded oil and nickel production come fully on-line and fewer new capital projects enter the pipeline," said Scotiabank economist Meny Grauman.

By 2007, Newfoundland's projected economic growth is expected slow to 2 per cent, while Alberta reclaims top spot with 4 per cent growth.

Alberta, whose economy is roaring ahead on the back of its oil and gas riches, is forecast to post GDP growth of 5.5 per cent this year, after expansion of 4.5 per cent in 2005, according to Scotiabank's projections.

Soaring crude oil and gas prices have spurred an unprecedented level of capital investment in Alberta, with companies rushing to get in on developing of the massive oil sands projects. "As energy projects continue to attract billions of dollars in domestic and international investment, the service companies, wholesalers, construction firms and manufacturers that cater to these projects also benefit," Mr. Grauman said.

The provincial government estimates there are 1,021 large-scale capital projects ventures in Alberta, with a combined market value of $133-billion. Just six are directly related to oil and gas, but they account for 65 per cent of all project spending.

Unemployment in Alberta is at record lows, leading to labour shortages and migration from other provinces.

Inflation remains moderate, but there is an "increasing number of anecdotal reports of cost overruns in the oil patch, and price pressures are mounting in the province's labour, construction and real-estate markets," the Scotiabank report said. There are also increasing concerns about environmental sustainability of the province's large development projects.

"Canada's economic performance map is being fundamentally reshaped by concurrent booms in the resource and construction sectors," the report said. Although Canada's economy will continue to enjoy solid growth this year, the pace of expansion will moderate in 2007.

The Scotiabank forecast says on a national basis, GDP growth is expected to come in at 3.3 per cent this year, and slow to 2.8 per cent in 2007. Canada's economy grew 2.9 per cent in 2005.

Surging global demand is creating the background for rapid Canadian economic growth, driven by expansion in the resource and construction sectors, the report said.

"Much of this strength reflects the persistently strong demand, and sky-high prices, for commodities that has been triggered by the rapid economic advances in many of the developing nations whose low costs have turned them into manufacturing powerhouses," Mr. Grauman said.

Canada, in turn, is experiencing a surge in investment as companies and governments find, produce, and deliver the energy and metals needed to support the expanding global economy.

British Columbia's economy will benefit from a bevy of construction projects ahead of the 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver, Scotiabank said. The province's lumber industry will continue to suffer, despite the softwood lumber deal reached with the United States.

B.C.'s economy is forecast to expand 4 per cent this year and 3.6 per cent in 2007, after growing 3.5 per cent last year.

The economies of Saskatchewan and Manitoba are both slated to expand 3 per cent this year, and 3 per cent and 2.8 per cent next year, Scotiabank forecast.

Ontario's economic performance will trail the national average as public sector investments in health care, education and infrastructure support growth at the same time as residential home building slows and manufacturers restructure.

The province's GDP is expected to slow to 2.7 per cent in 2006 and 2.3 per cent in 2007, after growing 2.8 per cent last year.

In Quebec, the strong loonie will pressure the province's textile and forest industries. The province's growth is forecast to come at 2.5 per cent this year and 2.3 per cent next year, after growth of 2.2 per cent in 2005.

Economic growth among the remainder of the Atlantic provinces is expected to average around 2.2 per cent this year, Scotiabank said. New Brunswick will outperform Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island this year while PEI slips to the weakness growth among all of the provinces in 2007.

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Sportsdude

Its the revenge of the Maritimes this is great news for Canada.

Some Chick

Revenge of the Maritimes?

Please.  Our government has been propping up their economy for years.  Equalization payments, Unemployment, Welfare, disproportionate funding for programs...

Little wonder the west has mumbled something about separation for years.  The only thing they had going for them was a seal hunt that most of the world condemns and some damned fine real estate.

Sportsdude

The whole meaning of a confederation/federation is to help each other out.  If the west doesn't like equalization payments then they should help out the Alantic region by developing trade and jobs.  There is a brain drain in Canada and its not going south its going west.  The U.S. has places like this its Mississippi. Ever been there? Really poor. Nobody cares about them.

Some Chick

When the first people on this continent realized that the living conditions were less than ideal, when the fish ran out, when the streams dried up... Did they stay?  No.  They went looking for a better spot to eke out the things necessary for their survival.  

If it doesn't work, it doesn't work.  I don't believe in propping up economies.  If you can't get a job, move.  That's what my dad did most of my life, that's what I did four years ago and I can not be told that it's better if we sat on welfare so we could remain in the area we chose.  

Sportsdude

True about moving. But then what do you do to fix the problem?

Some Chick

That's our problem.  Sometimes you just can't fix a problem.  You can stretch out an inevitable event, prolong a death, create more problems by interfering.  Take a look at what goes on at many native reserves across North America.  The social problems that run rampant.  No one is doing anyone any favors by putting a bandage on their problems.

It reminds me of BC's problem with beetle kill.  I used to work in forestry, and over the years I've seen our forests turn from lush green to red.  Dead and highly flamable.

But will the government let it burn?  No, the stupid asses send in small armies to put it out.  We might as well kiss most of our forests goodbye until they've got the guts to let nature do what it needs to.

Sportsdude

I know exactly what you are talking about in when it comes to forests. A fire would kill all those beetles and the problem would no longer exisit. The problem is the governments don't see the forests as nature but giant $$$$$$$ signs.

Some Chick

Another example are communities in tornado alley, anything along the always changing Mississippi...

Humans are so arrogant and stubborn.  Sometimes you just have to walk away.

Sportsdude

yep I know all about tornadoes. The sad part is my friend isn't worried about them because it hasn't happend to him why should he be worried.  I know a lot of people like that. But they are stubborn as hell. Trees fall down in there nieghbourhood almost hit there houses and they still have this dumb outlook.

CK

Sportsdude wrote:
Its the revenge of the Maritimes this is great news for Canada.  Revenge hey! Interesting way to say it. It is so crazy right now, all of the west has such a shortage of skilled tradespeople, technologists, etc. Even Winnipeg is experiencing one of the biggest construction seasons ever. Its just going to get worse as the East coast (just Newfoundland really. NS, PEI, NB are still an economic drag) economy turns around and the baby boomers retire. Many small businesses will collapse.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

If your father was named "Bob" and you're named "Jim", what's your dad's name?:
A 3-legged stool has how many legs?:
Seattle is in a state named what?:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview