Good Morning Lemmings

Started by TehBorken, Jul 26 06 06:38

Previous topic - Next topic

TehBorken

As a non-commuter, this stikes a chord with me. I don't know who did this, but he or she is my new hero, lol.

I often have this same feeling when I watch masses of  people commuting to work...they're driving to work so they can make money to pay for gas so they can drive to work again.
Rinse, Lather, Repeat.

The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

billybob

The lemmings myth is a great example of how a whole culture can believe something pertetrated by a few. Many believe "it can't happen here (and I'm telling you my dear that it can't happen here, because I've been checkin' it out baby... whooo could have imagined they'd freak-out in Kansas, Kansas, doody doo doo)"

http://www.anomalies-unlimited.com/Disney/Lemmings.html

Maybe there are some other myths we've accepted without question?

TehBorken wrote:
As a non-commuter, this stikes a chord with me. I don't know who did this, but he or she is my new hero, lol.

I often have this same feeling when I watch masses of  people commuting to work...they're driving to work so they can make money to pay for gas so they can drive to work again.
Rinse, Lather, Repeat.

Some Chick

This lemming is always doing her own thing.  I wait till the other lemmings have gotten out of the way and then arrive at work an hour late.

Plus I can walk over their bodies if need be, since work is close.

soapbox

yes,we need a radical shift in our respective cultures.

this kind of existence cannot be sustained and the earth is groaning louder and louder,the signs of ecological change and damage are everywhere globally.

people equate the personal freedom of car ownership with financial independence therefore success,a car is a symbol of freedom,it is a source of entertainment.

- walk to where you need to go

- take a bus

- carpool

- get a nice bike

- a scooter / vespa

reject overpackaging

buy organic

buy local

recycle

stop wasting water

WHO KILLED THE ELECTRIC CAR?      

Gopher

The sad thing is that many users of public transport  are made tofeel themselves inferior to their car-driving brothers and sisters. Somewhere along the way the situation just has to change - maybe if a general rumour got around that it was classy to use public transport, then  that would be some help.As yet an environmental conscience doesn't attract many kudos.
A fool's paradise is better than none.

soapbox

yes,it's true...marketing has made people feel like only suckers take the bus.

you are a poor peasant if you take the bus.

reject it.

save the earth

take the bus

demand hydrogen or electric buses in yoru community    

Some Chick

I sold my SUV a while ago.  I don't need a vehicle most of the time, but I will probably buy a YJ this winter since I do NEED to ski.

Some Chick

This lemming has a cute bum.

[img style="xxfloat: left" height=480 alt="Image of: Lagurus lagurus (steppe lemming)" src="http://animaldiversity.ummz.umich.edu/site/resources/Grzimek_mammals/Voles_Lemmings/Lagurus_lagurus.jpg/medium.jpg" width=598 border=1]

Some Chick

This one looks sneaky.

[img style="xxfloat: left" height=240 alt="Image of: Lemmus lemmus (Norway lemming)" src="http://animaldiversity.ummz.umich.edu/site/resources/Grzimek_mammals/Voles_Lemmings/Lemmus_lemmus.jpg/medium.jpg" width=330 border=1]

Sportsdude

I drive a focus hatch back and its done better in the ice and snow then most 4x4's in my area. When I commuted to school there was an ice storm and every SUV was sliding around and my front wheel drive car was just doing fine.
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Some Chick

Most people that have an SUV are clueless about how to actually use them.  When you go into a 4wheel slide in a 4x4, you hit the gas to pull out.

I pushed mine.  I treated it like an ATV with a roof and stereo and I had a BLAST.  I'm an excellent 4x4er.  My dad used to give me hell till I told him to mind his own business since he wasn't making the payments.

Sportsdude

Yeah. I just drove my uncles Suburban last night. (I hate SUV's btw). And I can see why so many people die in those things. The truck acts like a car. The steering isn't stiff like it should be. So people forget that there in a thing that can tip over and they drive it like a car. I was so timid in that thing I starting slowly braking about a 1000 feet before a red light. Trucks good for straight lines bad for sharp turns.
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."