So... Whats for lunch?

Started by kits, Feb 06 06 09:57

Previous topic - Next topic
|

kitten

I have cedar roots growing throughout my garden, and a very nasty type of weed that has roots halfway to China, that wrap around the cedar roots for an even firmer grip.  I asked  a landscaper what I could do about them, and he suggested poisoning them.  I really don't want to put poison in my garden, so I'm at a loss for what to do about them.  They do have pretty flowers, though.
Thousands of years ago cats were worshipped.  They have not forgotten.

Gopher

LIver and a ton of mushrooms.

To PC: if you really do love weeding, I can offer you a wonderful experience - how about coming over and doing mine?
A fool's paradise is better than none.

purelife

You guys are just making me hungry...I can just imagine salmon baked with dill and lemon..yummmmmmmyyyyy...or salmon grilled panini....mmm...or salmon salad....  

kitten

Or how about salmon mousse?

purelife

hmmm...that oughta be an interesting taste!    

P.C.

I really don't want to put poison in my garden, so I'm at a loss for what to do about them.  They do have pretty flowers, though.

Then my recommendation would be to merely put a shape to their edges.  Make it look as though you planted them there with intent.  Embrace what wants to be.   Reminds me of this story of a couple who's father had come to visit from a 'far-away place'.  The couple wanted so desperately to landscape the yard and have a beautiful lawn in before his visit, but simply couldn't find the time.  Dandylions covered the yard.

After the fathers return home, his thank-you letter was filled with kudos for the effort he believed they had put forth on his behalf.....filling the yard with 'those beautiful yellow flowers'.

One mans' weed.....    
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

tenkani

I actually like weeding too!! For about the first hour!
The problem is I keep getting jobs where it's 2 or 3 hours straight of pulling weeds and by the end my fingers and wrists are sore.
As far as the persistent weed problem, I like the idea of horticultural fabric (NOT that nasty black plastic crap!) with a layer of wood chips on top. If you want to plant something in the ground you can always clear away a circle of chips, cut an x in the fabric and plant directly into the soil but everywhere else you have pretty wood chips (I prefer the fine "monkey fur" variety) and the weeds can't poke up through them!!

Ask Sensei Gopher though for the real answer    :)

EDIT: Wow P.C.'s answer is a lot more poetic and cool than mine. I am humbled.

For thou art with me; thy cream and thy sugar they comfort me
Thou preparest a carafe before me in the presence of Juan Valdez
Thou anointest my day with pep; my mug runneth over
Surely richness and taste shall follow me all the days of my life
And I will dwell in the house of coffee forever.

kitten

[TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0] [TBODY] [TR] [TD height=5][/TD][/TR] [TR] [TD][SPAN class=recipesheader id=_ctl7_lblTitle]Red Salmon Party Mousse[/SPAN]
[img height=8 alt="" src="http://www.chefs.com/images/spacer.gif" width=1 border=0]
Rating: [A id=_ctl7_firstToRateLnkBtn href="jvascript:__doPostBack('_ctl7$firstToRateLnkBtn','')"]Be the first to rate this recipe[/A]
[SPAN id=_ctl7_lblPrepTime]Preparation Time: 20 minutes
[/SPAN][SPAN id=_ctl7_lblServes]Serves: 12
[/SPAN]
[SPAN class=ContentHeader]Ingredients[/SPAN]
[img height=5 alt="" src="http://www.chefs.com/images/spacer.gif" width=1 border=0]
 [TABLE id=_ctl7_ingredientsDG style="BORDER-RIGHT: gray 0px solid; BORDER-TOP: gray 0px solid; BORDER-LEFT: gray 0px solid; WIDTH: 100%; BORDER-BOTTOM: gray 0px solid; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" borderColor=gray cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0] [TBODY] [TR] [TD]1 lb. red salmon[/TD][/TR] [TR] [TD]7 oz. natural yoghurt[/TD][/TR] [TR] [TD]1 cup sour cream[/TD][/TR] [TR] [TD]1/3 cup plus 3 Tbsps. mayonnaise[/TD][/TR] [TR] [TD]2 Tbsps. gelatine[/TD][/TR] [TR] [TD]1/4 cup water[/TD][/TR] [TR] [TD]2 tsps. dill or chives, chopped[/TD][/TR][/TBODY][/TABLE][/TD][/TR] [TR] [TD]
[/TD][/TR] [TR] [TD align=left][SPAN class=ContentHeader]Instructions[/SPAN]
[img height=5 alt="" src="http://www.chefs.com/images/spacer.gif" width=1 border=0]
Mix salmon and its liquid, yoghurt, sour cream and mayonnaise. Sprinkle gelatine over water, then dissolve over hot water or in the microwave oven. Add gelatine and dill to salmon mixture. Pour into an oiled 3 cups mould and refrigerate for several hours or overnight. Unmould and serve decorated with extra sour cream and red caviar, accompanied by crackers and melba toast.
[/TD][/TR][/TBODY][/TABLE]Delicious, but I skip the caviar.

P.C.

Jeez, I just re-read that, and I sounded like Cliff Klaven. [img style="CURSOR: pointer" onclick=url(this.src); src="http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/more/bigs/c028.gif" border=0]  

P.C.

Even though I'm not a big mousse fan, THAT sounds delish, Kitten.

Gopher

Actually I have to steel myself to pull up weeds, the thought always being in my mind that they've got as much right to live as any other plant in the garden (that's why I so desperately need someone to do it for me!).  

kitten

Aha!  You are looking for a hired killer, are you?

Gopher

Yes, PC and Tenkani will make a fine pair of assassins.

tenkani

Gophie, if I was anywhere close I would SO be down for this hit contract.
But I know what you mean about weeds!! A wise person once said a weed is a plant whose virtues have yet to be discovered!!
For thou art with me; thy cream and thy sugar they comfort me
Thou preparest a carafe before me in the presence of Juan Valdez
Thou anointest my day with pep; my mug runneth over
Surely richness and taste shall follow me all the days of my life
And I will dwell in the house of coffee forever.

Gopher

Reminds me of once hearing "A rose by any other name would smell as sweet", parodied as "A t... by any other name would smell as rank".

|