So... Whats for lunch?

Started by kits, Feb 06 06 09:57

Previous topic - Next topic
|

Lil Me

Hey purelife!  Sounds like a great weekend.

I'm also without fans.  I have a couple, but they're packed away in my shipping container in Delta :(
 Here's my solution to the heat...stay outside during the day (leaving windows open), cool shower before bed.

"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

Sportsdude

Hilarious, I wasn't accepted to SFU.

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Lise

Totally worth it to go to the Woodland Zoo. It's much superior than the GVZoo but smaller. You can take a lotta good photo shots there as some of the exhibits do not have fences so unlike the GVZoo, you can see the animals up close and personal. The only thing I didn't like is the crowds. I would recommend that you go during the off season days when it isn't so hot and crowded.

The highlight was the giraffe feeding. The kids got to feed the giraffes though we had to pay $5 each. Under 2 years old is free. Bloody rip-off but if you've never fed a giraffe before, it's worth it.

Woodland Zoo costs us about $15.00/person plus $4.50 for parking. Food-wise, you should pack up your own lunch but you can defnitely get burgers (mediocre), turkey hot dogs, pizza whatever there. EDIT: Forgot to add, if you get their pamphlet at the hotel, they'll give you $1.00 off per person.

Qui, very far from the Space Needle. You would need to take a car or public transport there. Getting there isn't so bad but it's quite a drive from downtown Seattle.  
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

Lise

I've several fans blowing throughout the house. This heat is unbearable especially at night!! Waaah! I don't know how Lil Me can make it without a fan in sight.

I'm pretty curious about PC's garden too. I bet it's really really pretty. I had to drenched my garden yesterday, my plants were kinda..... *cough*.... drooping because I forgot to water them.
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

P.C.

lol.....the 'garden' itself isn't that great Lise.  It's small, and mostly in pots.   When I refer to working in the 'garden', I'm usually referring to the whole property.  If I actually spent all the time I talk about spending in the garden, one would think I had a Buchart going on here.  (but it still looks purdy)

edit:  I'll take some pics today.

The zoo sounds pretty good Lise.  I'm one of those people who is mixed over the zoo thing.  As much as I ache when I see animals penned up, I am selfishly thankful, that I get to see animals I would otherwise never get to see.    
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Lise

Well, I bet it's better than any garden. I've not much success with pots. Dunno - any tips on what to put into pots? Plants that'll grow back next year and don't require much?

Have you planted strawberries in pots? I've always wanted to do that but unsure of what to do.
Bill Cosby.

P.C.

Strawberries do great in pots.  As a matter of fact, I prefer them in pots, because they have a tendancy to take over.  Tomatoes as well.  You can get the kind that will trail instead of growing upright, so great for a hanging pot.  Snow peas in pots too....with a trellis.

If you have some shady areas, Hostas do great in pots, and are perennial.  Heliboris also does great in pots (also perennial and also like shade) and they bloom beautiful flowers in FEBRUARY if you can believe it.....and are still in bloom now.

Sportsdude

totally awesome P.C.  

Lil Me

Morning everyone.

Lazy day so far.  Morning was sleep, coffee, brekky and John Grisham novel.  Then I was called to attend a domestic dispute/noise complaint.  Left when the RCMP took over.  *sighs* oh the joys of being strata council president...

Off to Canada Day.  

"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

purelife

Afternoon everyone.

I think there was a party last night near by that kept me up 'till 2am.  :(

I don't think we're joining the festivities this year (I'm not in a celebrating mood).  We're just going to take it easy and hoping that I can pick up some work summer clothes.  MrPL desperately needs shorts.  He was riding on the bike with his jeans and one leg side ripped.  We're probably going to the bike trails again. :)

Lise

BIG GIANT HUG TO PURELIFE.

Hmmm..... that strawberry idea sounds neat. I think I might start on it fairly soon. I do love watching them bloom and produce little fruits. I've planted them on the ground before and you're right about them taking over, PC. I still think they're lurking somewhere in the garden even after I've pulled them out.

Hostas? I've come across them before and they seem like an easy-to-take care of. Haven't thought of tomatoes in pots. I thought they required a lotta work - seemed like the fussy type to me. Would you recommend that you grow them from seeds in packets or buy them at the nursery?
Bill Cosby.

Sportsdude

Hugs all around! :))))

Finally sent off this package of stuff to Taiwan. Expensive.
I've been going through a fear phase of UBC, somehow I've got this panic mode going on thinking I'm not smart enough or capable of UBC. Must fight it. For example I've got to take a year of Calculus. frightening.

I hope everyone has a safe and relaxing holiday.

P.C.

Hostas are great for neglectful gardeners, or those without a lot of sun.  They're drought tolerant, so you can get away with forgetting to water.  Tomatoes are pretty much no fuss.  Get starter plants Lise....our growing season is a little too short for tomatoes from seed, unless you start them indoors (or a greenhouse) in February.  Plant 'em, stake 'em, water 'em, fertilize every few weeks......that's it.

This is a hosta.....which is humongous ! (I have about 8 different varieties....my fave is a blue hosta and the variegated)

[A id=thelink onclick="return fitsInWindow();"][img id=thepic title="Click to visit ImageShack for Image Hosting!" onclick=scaleImg() alt=img366/5037/img0939wb0.jpg src="http://img366.imageshack.us/img366/5037/img0939wb0.jpg"][/A]

This is the area beside the work shop.

[A id=thelink onclick="return fitsInWindow();"][img id=thepic title="Click to visit ImageShack for Image Hosting!" onclick=scaleImg() alt=img77/7158/img0927ji1.jpg src="http://img77.imageshack.us/img77/7158/img0927ji1.jpg"][/A]

....beside the dining area

[A id=thelink onclick="return fitsInWindow();"][img id=thepic title="Click to visit ImageShack for Image Hosting!" onclick=scaleImg() alt=img77/2710/img0928jl5.jpg src="http://img77.imageshack.us/img77/2710/img0928jl5.jpg"][/A]

....down one of the paths.

[A id=thelink onclick="return fitsInWindow();"][img id=thepic title="Click to visit ImageShack for Image Hosting!" onclick=scaleImg() alt=img77/4281/img0915wu0.jpg src="http://img77.imageshack.us/img77/4281/img0915wu0.jpg"][/A]

[A id=thelink onclick="return fitsInWindow();"][img id=thepic title="Click to visit ImageShack for Image Hosting!" onclick=scaleImg() alt=img366/579/img0923qq1.jpg src="http://img366.imageshack.us/img366/579/img0923qq1.jpg"][/A]

Plus an herb garden and a few more garden areas. ( pics turned out too dark)

Sportsdude

Very cool garden P.C. Me like.
Again I must say somebody needs to call Better Homes and Gardens, you've got the perfect house and garden for them to showcase. Seriously. :)

P.C.

Well thanks SD.....it's hardly in that catagory, but we likes it.  

The area by the workshop and the dining area used to be a huge cedar deck.....but I ripped it out a couple years ago.  It took a beating when we had a big 'digger' on it looking for our septic tank.....lol.  Happy for now with the bark mulch.....I may do a stone patio to match the walkways.  

|