So... Whats for lunch?

Started by kits, Feb 06 06 09:57

Previous topic - Next topic
|

Sportsdude

no that was purelife.
I want to be an urban planner not project manager.

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Lise

Ah. OK. My bad. Maybe I don't know what I'm talking about. Sorry. Carry on.
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

purelife

Sportsdude wrote:
I'm here! I was having a bad dream, spiders were biting me huge spiders. (the farm this weekend spiders were everywhere in the woods)

I think I'm destined for an office cubicle with my career path. But when people start building on a project I guess I'd be at the work site most of the day. I should ask devil he probably runs into planners.

Ok, my bad.  When I read that, I thought that you wanted to become a Project Manager.  Besides, aren't Urban Planners the same as Project Managers?  ;)

So, you're not hungry.  THINK FOOD!  Ribs marinated in BBQ sauce ready for the grill, Pho with tender beef sirloin strips, spring rolls tightly wrapped, shrimp in curry sauce over a bed of penne....  So, ya salivating yet?  

Sportsdude

nope urban planners are like gods. Think Sim City.
I have a friend who's an architect and the urban planners tell him what to draw in layout terms.
Then if planners go to the people there the ones at town meetings saying "hey folks we would like to this and this, you like? vote."
[a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urban_planning"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urban_planning[/a]

[img style="width: 550px; height: 490px;" src="http://www.nyc.gov/html/om/gif/2005/flushing_commons.jpg"]

False Creek, Coal Harbour, Yaletown, Granville Island, West End are examples of mega urban planning. They decide where to put the buildings, interact with the environment and so on.

For small scale, your house, apartment, condo, place of work, highway, skytrain line was all thought up by an urban planner.

49er

SD, you are soooooo naive.  You are in for a big shock when you're out looking for your first job as a planner.

Sportsdude

purelife

Yep, I think that you're going to be in for a shock to find out what "urban planning" really is about, SD.  I have to agree with 49er that you're pretty naive and gullable.  

I dunno, I still think that Urban Planner is a PM and an Architect in one.  Urban Planners need to understand all building codes, maintenance, structure, etc.  To me, Urban Planners are like Developers.  I know a few people who have majored from that UBC Urban Planning Geography course but end up becoming a PM.  Have you checked out any latest job openings and see what kind of qualifications they are asking and what your job description might look like?  That's what I would do to get a better sense at what you will need.  

Sportsdude

Sportsdude

Gosh guys you sure like to dampen spirits. You're not very encouraging bunch. I know its an uphill climb, but then what's the point of a challenge if you don't try.
Yes I know the qualifications, what I need to do, what kind of grades I need. I've known what I needed to do for a couple years now.
And I'm not naive, if I was that died 4 years ago.

49er

Sportsdude wrote:
Gosh guys you sure like to dampen spirits. You're not very encouraging bunch. I know its an uphill climb, but then what's the point of a challenge if you don't try.
Yes I know the qualifications, what I need to do, what kind of grades I need. I've known what I needed to do for a couple years now.
And I'm not naive, if I was that died 4 years ago.

Don't mean to dampen your spirits, but I've worked with developers, planners, environmental scientists, architects and engineers in my career.  You've glorified the role of the planner.  I suggest you drop by the local city hall and talk with the city planner and find out more information on a career in urban planning.

ADD:  a  planner is normally a member of the project team.  The PM heads the project team.....he is the spokesman, not the planner

purelife

I'm not trying to dampen your spirit SD. I think that it's great that you're pursuing your dream.  I just wanted you to be aware of the details, that's all.  And, I think 49er makes sense.  

Sportsdude

I see cool.
I understand what 49er is saying.

purelife

Ok, I just saw the cccccuuuuuuutest good morning cat pic and had to post it.  ok, guys, pretend that it's officially morning now, k?     So speaking of mornings, what does everyone usually have for brekkie?  I usually go for tea and some biscuits.  

Sportsdude

just had an omelet with squash.  

PostMonkee @(^_^)@

What a coincidence.

I just woke up.

EDIT: Does anyone else think those Zwinky girls are hawt?
Jesus, bad waves of paranoia, madness, fear and loathing - intolerable vibrations in this place. Get out. The weasels were closing in. I could smell the ugly brutes. Flee.

|