Bush's stem cell veto "morally bankrupt"

Started by TehBorken, Jul 19 06 10:23

Previous topic - Next topic

TehBorken

[div class="itemTitle"]Via salon.com

[a href="http://blogs.salon.com/0000014/2006/07/19.html#a1068" class="weblogItemTitle"]Stem cells: Bush's shameful first veto?[/a]
[/div] President Bush appears poised for the first veto of his presidency. The cause that has finally pushed him to reject Congressional legislation? An attempt to expand funding for stem cell research that Bush hobbled back in 2001.  For millions of Americans, the potential fruits of stem cell research -- in the form of cures to dangerous diseases -- are a serious matter with grave personal import. For President Bush, the issue has always served as a political football.[/p] On the one hand, Bush argues that the destruction of human embryos (microscopic organisms made up of a few cells) is a kind of killing. His press spokesman, Tony Snow, adopting the supercharged cant of anti-abortion activists, [a href="http://www.salon.com/politics/war_room/2006/07/18/bush_stem_cells/index.html"]referred to it recently as "murder."[/a]  In order to stop such "murder," Bush agreed in 2001 to limit all federal funding of stem cell research to a handful of pre-existing "lines" of cells -- cells that had been created specifically for research. His argument was, let's not use tax dollars to pay for the destruction of more embryos for the sake of research.[/p]  Here is why Bush's position is a joke: Thousands and thousands of embryos are destroyed every year in fertility clinics. They are created in petri dishes as part of fertility treatments like IVF; then they are discarded. [/p] If Bush and his administration truly believe that destroying an embryo is a kind of murder, they shouldn't be wasting their time arguing about research funding: They should immediately shut down every fertility clinic in the country, arrest the doctors and staff who operate them, and charge all the wannabe parents who have been wantonly slaughtering legions of the unborn. [/p] But of course they'll never do such a thing. (Nor, to be absolutely clear, do I think they should.) Bush could not care less about this issue except as far as it helps burnish his pro-life credentials among his "base." This has been true since the first airing of Bush's position in 2001, [a href="http://archive.salon.com/politics/feature/2001/08/10/stem_cell/index.html"]as I said back then[/a]. So he finds a purely symbolic way of taking a stand, but won't follow the logic of his position to the place where it might cause him any political harm -- as opposing the family-building dreams of millions of middle-class Americans would doubtless do. [/p] (And please don't test our credulity with the laughable "Go ahead and do the research, but let's not spend taxpayers' money on things they don't believe in" argument: If that had any bearing, my tax dollars would not be funding a war that 2/3 of the country opposes now that the specious arguments used to launch it have collapsed.) [/p] If Bush believes destroying embryos is murder, let him take a real stand against it. If he doesn't, he shouldn't make it harder for the thousands of embryos that are being discarded anyway to be used for a valuable purpose that could improve real lives. [/p] That's why Bush's stem cell position isn't Solomonic -- it's craven. His upcoming veto is an act not of moral leadership but of hypocrisy. And the cost of this hypocrisy, assuming Congress can't muster the votes for an override, will be borne by everyone who dreams of new cures for awful illnesses.  
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

fletcher

I am new to this forum but couldn't help responding to this. What about what I will call the 'fully grown embryos' he is sending to fight and are killed. Is that not considered murder? And now our Canadian fully grown embryos are being killed. It seems to me that using discardable embryos at least could help save many lives and improve the lives of the already living. Shame on you, Bush. Total contradiction.

Some Chick

There are many people out there that need this research to be done.  Diabetics, people suffering from paralysis among others.

If he does veto this, it will sink the last nail in the coffin he has built of his own ego and stupidity, and I sincerely hope that his karmic contributions to this planet see him return in his next life as a spider in my bathtub.

*SQUISH*

Sportsdude

The funny sad part about this is that these embroys are going to be destroyed anyway. When you talk to social conservatives down here that seems to escape there mind. Here's the typical conversation I have with social conservatives:

Me: These are going to be destroyed why not save them in the name of science to help other people.

Them: No, No, they say thats murder.

Me:They are going to be destroyed anyway, thrown away.

Them: Its murder, murder, murder, stem cell research is murder.

My grandma the one who lived in a force labour camp for 4 years in Seberia is getting tired of the social conservatism retoric at her church. She said she's tired of "Save the babies, Save the babies, Save the babies" talk. She then goes and says they grow up and beat you on the head. (refering to my two cousins who got pregnant from pysco's and drug dealers.)

Every time they say "Save the babies Save the babies"

I counter with "Broken Homes Broken Homes Broken Homes, No system to help them, No system to help them, They're all alone, They're all alone"  
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Sportsdude

And another thing. Those kids that Bush took pictures in front of well they are only alive for a political statement. Right wing christian groups paid money to those families to have those kids through disguarded embroys. Does something like that sound familiar? Remember those "love gardens" that the nazis set up during the '36 Olympics so that pure white people could create 'pure aryan' babies? Well this is what that was 80 years later, sick.

Some Chick

It reminds me of the years (6 I believe) that Reagan could not bring himself to address the growing AIDS crisis.

Fortunately, time has a way of moving on.  People die, politicians are voted out.

It will happen.  George W. can make it happen during his time, or he can be remembered for saving cells that could form a human, while sending perfectly good breeding stock off to die on foreign soil.

Sportsdude

Well this legislation will pass, when the democrats take over the house and senate this year. I garuntee this will be one of the first things done. Bush will veto it again but it will be over ridden in the house and Senate.

soapbox

a decision not of science but emotion.

dumb,dumb,dumb.