Sell Breast Milk on the Net?

Started by Lise, Jul 15 06 07:39

Previous topic - Next topic

Lise

Not that I would buy breast milk on the net but hey, why not? For women who are unable to produce enough breast milk, there are alternative choices though. Some hospitals carry donated breast milk from other women.

Regardless, I wouldn't let my child have another woman's breast milk. It's just.... too icky.

[H1 class=Headline]Buying Breast Milk Online May Be Risky[/H1] [H2 class=SubHead]Selling Breast Milk Can Be Lucrative[/H2]

NEWARK, Del. -- Buying a woman's breast milk via the Internet may seem far-fetched, but it isn't an unusual transaction.

WBAL-TV in Baltimore discovered mothers selling their breast milk -- often for a hefty price. In many cases, transactions require only half of the payment up front, and some sellers even accept credit cards.

Some states ban such sales by law -- but not Maryland. The television station asked Amy and Brandon Redmond why they were selling breast milk.

"Some women can't produce breast milk, and I had a lot of excess," Amy Redmond said. "I thought it would be beneficial."

And then there's the money.

"I'm a physician assistant student, so when I'm in school, I really don't have any particular type of income," Brandon Redmond said.

Amy Redmond said she just sold her milk online for the first time. She expressed shock that she received, within hours, people interested in buying her milk.

Redmond described herself in her post on the auction Web site eBay as a healthy nonsmoker who's also alcohol- and drug-free.

But even she admitted there's no way for the buyer to know that for sure.

"I was very surprised because I thought, 'You don't know me; I don't know you.' It's kind of strange, but I guess you take the chance and hope the person (is honest about their health) because it's going to a baby," Amy Redmond said.

Officials at the Mother's Milk Bank at the Christiana Hospital in Newark, which is among the oldest of 10 such facilities in North America, explained the dangers.

"It's a very dangerous practice because you just don't know what's in that milk," said Donna More, of the Mother's Milk Bank.

More said a mother in need of breast milk for a legitimate reason can obtain breast milk from a milk bank as long as she has a prescription from her pediatrician.

Some of the reasons some mothers need the breast milk of others include a low supply or because the mother adopted a baby.

Amy Brahm sought breast milk at a milk bank. Brahm adopted baby Isabel and said she was allergic to formula and wasn't thriving.

"We decided to give the breast milk bank a try. As soon as we began within the first week, she had gained weight and steadily has been gaining weight since then," Brahm said.

But insurance does not pay for the breast milk, and the out-of-pocket cost is almost $700 a week.

Although she might be able to get a better financial deal online, Brahm expressed concern about that option.

"You just don't know what the women are eating, drinking (or) what's in their system," Brahm said.

"There are viruses -- hepatitis can be transmitted through breast milk, HIV, even just bacteria that would be pathogenic to a baby's system," More said.

Breast milk donors at milk banks must endure an extensive screening that includes written verification of their medical history and a blood test for diseases like HIV and hepatitis.

Once the donor passes screening, she sends her milk to the milk bank, where it goes through an extensive procedure to make sure its safe. There are no assurances like that for online buyers.

Meanwhile, Amy Redmond said she'll consider selling her breast milk again.

"It's very strange to me. I've heard of donating blood, donating all kinds of things. Breast milk was little off-the-wall for me," Brandon Redmond said.

Source: [A href="http://www.channelcincinnati.com/irresistible/5250889/detail.html"]http://www.channelcincinnati.com/irresistible/5250889/detail.html[/A]
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

purelife

Blech!  Disgusting.  Plus, you don't know what the woman has been eating.  The healthier she eats the better the breast milk will be (full of nutrients).  I doubt it that the breast milk is full of nutrients the way you'd want it to be.

And she could be a smoker and a drinker.  She could be someone who puts on lots of perfume.   I heard that perfume can affect the breast milk.  

Sportsdude

Or worse she could have HIV.
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Lise

Heh. I should sell mine for $100 per litre. To date, I have no HIV/AIDS or whatever.................
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

Sportsdude

I think your baby needs it more lise.
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

49er

remember.....not every mother does it for the money.  Some do it to help other mothers whose milk have been poisoned by drugs (chemotherapy... sp?)