Female students unaware of breast cancer risks

Started by Sportsdude, Jul 16 06 08:10

Previous topic - Next topic

Sportsdude

[DIV class=headline]Students unaware of breast risks [/DIV]Most female students worldwide know nothing about the lifestyle habits that can influence breast cancer risk, research shows. A study of more than 10,000 female students from 23 countries found they were no better informed about the disease than their male counterparts.  Fewer than 5% realised that alcohol, exercise or being overweight could influence breast cancer risk.  The European Journal of Cancer study was led by Cancer Research UK.  [DIV class=bo]

[DIV class=ibox]
[TBODY]
[TD width=5][/TD] [TD class=fact] [DIV class=sih]BREAST CANCER RISK FACTORS [/DIV][!--Smva--] [DIV class=bull]Age

[DIV class=bull]Family history (slight)

[DIV class=bull]Starting periods at a younger age

[DIV class=bull]Late menopause

[DIV class=bull]Using hormone replacement therapy

[DIV class=bull]Using the contraceptive pill (small)

[DIV class=bull]Alcohol

[DIV class=bull]Obesity [/DIV][!--Emva--][/TD][/TR][/TBODY][/TABLE]

[DIV class=bo] Just over half of those questioned were aware that genes could play a role in influencing breast cancer risk. Awareness of genetic factors was particularly high in the UK and US.  But awareness of the potential significance of lifestyle factors was much lower.  US students were most likely to be aware of their potential influence - but even here ignorance was widespread.  More than 15% of US students identified obesity as a risk factor, compared with under 7% of their English counterparts.  While 10% of US students pinpointed the role of alcohol, the figure in the UK was just 4%.  And 18% of US female students thought exercise had an influence on breast cancer, compared to just 3.5% of English students.  Students in both the UK and US were more likely to rate stress as a significant factor - even though evidence for its effect is much more sketchy.  Worrying findings The study focused on university students because they were likely to be the opinion formers of the future, said Professor Jane Wardle, director of Cancer Research UK's health behaviour unit at University College, London.  "If graduates are not aware of risks, then it is unlikely that anyone else knows."  "It is very worrying that information about being overweight, having a high alcohol intake and taking little physical exercise has simply not been effectively communicated to young women in any of the countries we surveyed.  

[DIV class=ibox]
[TBODY]
[TD width=5][/TD] [TD class=fact] [DIV class=sih]CUTTING THE RISK [/DIV][!--Smva--] [DIV class=bull]Breastfeed

[DIV class=bull]Have several children, and have them young

[DIV class=bull]Stay in shape

[DIV class=bull]Eat and drink healthily

[DIV class=bull]Don't smoke [/DIV][!--Emva--][/TD][/TR][/TBODY][/TABLE]

[DIV class=bo] "The results of this study suggest that students could be overestimating the impact of genetic factors and are certainly underestimating the importance of lifestyle factors.  "The danger is that women who do not have relatives with breast cancer may believe that since they have a lower genetic risk they need take no account of lifestyle risks."  Professor John Toy, medical director of Cancer Research UK, said: "The message that lifestyle can influence breast cancer risk is a very important one to get across to all women to enable them to take some control over their future lives."  

[DIV class=footer]Story from BBC NEWS:
[A href="http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/hi/health/5169866.stm"]http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/hi/health/5169866.stm[/A]

[DIV class=footer]

[DIV class=footer] [img height=152 alt="Image of staff analysing a mammogram" hspace=0 src="http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/41853000/jpg/_41853474_breast_screening203.jpg" width=203 border=0]  [DIV class=cap]Lifestyle factors can influence risk

[DIV class=cap]

[DIV class=cap] [/DIV][/DIV][/DIV]
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Lise

It's very true. Easy to do a breast check and go in for a physical once a year.

You should take a look at the men stats. I bet the number isn't any better. Most men shy away from a physical exam.
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

Sportsdude

Apparently breast cancer rates are rising in men also. I bet 99.999999% of the male population think breast cancer is a female only cancer.

Lise

Very true..... however, I was thinking more on the lines of testiscular cancer. Most guys would rather choke on a bone than have someone check them down there.
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

Sportsdude

I was checked down there a couple of weeks ago by the doc. Hurt for about a week though. I had a hernia and one teste is really sensitive because of it.

Lise

Whoa. That's a lotta info there, SD.

My husband wouldn't go in no matter what I tell him. He really ought to. Exams like these save lives. Hey, if I have to do a pap smear every so often, he should be able to go through this with no problems.
Bill Cosby.

Sportsdude

Its painless really. But then again when I had a hernia a female doctor had to check me out. I know lots of guys would be scared of that.

kitten

Doctors see hundreds of bodies.  It's no big deal to them.  They are looking for problems, not checking out how good you look.  It's about as thrilling to them as an engine is to a mechanic.
Thousands of years ago cats were worshipped.  They have not forgotten.

Sportsdude

LOL. Kitten.

Yeah so true. Like in high school any guy who wants to be a doctor always says they want to be a gynecologist.

kitten

You've seen one, you've seen them all.  No big deal.
Thousands of years ago cats were worshipped.  They have not forgotten.