How does this happen ???

Started by P.C., Jul 13 06 02:04

Previous topic - Next topic

P.C.

I don't think I give 'clues'.  Maybe....but I don't think so.  I think that common interests or a similar sense of humour are the draw for me.  

edit: (I just noticed that this didn't explain a darned thing) [img style="CURSOR: pointer" onclick=url(this.src); src="http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/smilie/liebe/g038.gif" border=0]    
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

TehBorken

kingy wrote:[em][/em]
[div style="font-style: italic;"]from a guys standpoint, the clues are not as clear to us as you might think.[/div]
 Speaking strictly from my personal experience, that would be the understatement of the century.

The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

Some Chick

There are members of my family I still will not speak to because of things they did (step-grandmother allowing my mother to be abused by her father for example).  I've never spoken to her and have zero desire other than to call her "Grandma" since she told my brother, when he once called her that, that she was too young to be his grandma.  Bitch.

But, with my own daughter I took my upbringing and used what I'd experienced and what I had learned about myself to stop a cycle of abuse that ran through generations.  It stopped with me.  My daughter has never been verbally or physically abused (not even a spanking) and she graduated a year early as valedictorian of her class.  She won't be an abusive parent because she never had a bigger person hitting her.

I didn't want kids because of all the rage I had and my fear I would hurt them, but...  I knew what I didn't want, and made a true effort not to have it part of her life.

You can't blame other people for who you are.  You're the only one that knows what it is like to be in your skin, and you have ultimate control over your emotions and who you are.  Anyone that says otherwise is using other people as a crutch or an excuse for their own shortcomings.

purelife

You are absolutely right and have learned to accept that that was how my parents were raised.  I know that my dad loves me a lot and that he worked hard for the household.

I'll have to start another thread about the "signs."

49er wrote:
purelife wrote:

........  We've never really been close.  I have never received a hug from my dad and it was only once that I hugged him when I left at the airport.[/DIV]
 This happens so much in immigrant families.  Many immigrant families, particularly Chinese, have such difficulties showing their love for their children as westerners do publicly or privately.  Remember they themselves never experienced the kisses or hugs from their parents,  I bet if back in the old country their strict code of behavior would be considered normal.....your dad love you no less.  His way of showing love for the family was worked his ass off to provide shelter and food on the table for the family so his kids will have an easier time.  His early curfews and strict rules were his ways, as he knew, to protect his daughter ....remember also during this period he was under extreme pressure to adjust to a new world and likely was taking a lot of crap at work because he was a FOB.  You, on the other hand, was carefree, still a child going to school and being assimilated into western culture.

Make the move, go home and visit, talk with your dad while you still have the chance..........I bet you will end up feeling better.

Lise

I have several that we don't really keep in touch. It's not that we had a fight or anything like that.... we kinda just drifted off. We only get together when there's something major happening.

Can't quite top you guys in this department. I guess in a way, I'm lucky.
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

|