From the "Too Much Time On Their Hands" department

Started by TehBorken, Jul 10 06 05:54

Previous topic - Next topic

TehBorken

[h3]Art installation: 180,000 lumpy clay people         [/h3]Too weird. An English sculptor, Antony Gormley, has produced an installation of 180 thousand hand-made clay figures that stand in a gigantic hangar-like building as part of an art show in Sydney, Australia:

For the Biennale, Gormley has shipped out his Asian Field, an installation of 180,000 hand-sized clay figurines. Three hundred and fifty villagers in southern China individually crafted the figurines in just five days from more than 100 tonnes of red clay. Together, the figurines form a vast sea of bodies that dominates the huge upper space of Pier 2/3. Lumpy and almost featureless, they eerily stare out with blank holes for eyes. As Gormley says, "The art is not there to be looked at; it is looking at you."  

[a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/egenerica/tags/fieldproject/"]Link to egenerica's Flickr photoset[/a],   [a href="http://www.smh.com.au/news/entertainment/bigger-than-christmas/2006/06/01/1148956427053.html"]Link to Sydney Morning Herald article[/a]  

The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

Chicklet

This is unbelievable.  I just don't get it.  Do you think the villagers that made all the 'statues' got paid?  I'm sure they had better things to do.
'In every group of human beings you will find a few specimens of below average intelligence, above average ego and spectacularly bad judgement.' - tenkani

Orik

i am glad i dont have to do secuirty for that place. that would totaly creep me out , heck even the pics alone give me the hebie jebies.
Never give up Never surrender Fight with ur last breath Fight 2 live & Fight 2 survive. Never say never & never say die. There comes a time when all will die A time we transcend & attain our place afterlife. My Fight is not yet done, I'm tired & I'd like to go home, But I'm not ready to go just yet.