Trailer Park Boys - too funny for the US

Started by Future Canadian, Jun 27 06 12:24

Previous topic - Next topic

Future Canadian

Sportsdude wrote:
[div style="font-style: italic;"]One of my favourite shows: Prison Break, is one of the most violent shows I've seen on public tv.  They chopped a toe off in the opener, killed a cat, deal with prison rape, guy had his man hood chopped off, families have been executed for no apparent reason, cop was killed in a prison riot, abruzzi was slashed in the throat.  Its more graphic then 24 in my opinon because of how they treat each death.[/div]
Umm....That doesn't sound very entertaining to me.
Can people write a decent story for TV or movies without someone dying? How is murder supposed to be entertaining. Are we that jaded that limbs need to severed to catch our attention.
I don't mean to hash on your favorite show SD but...families executed for no apparent reason?!?!?!? Not so entertaining when you have a family.
I read something about a study once that found that people are more apt to respond to advertising when they are in an extreme emotional state. That's probably why we see so much of this kind of crap. And why local TV news bounces back and forth between fluffy kittens and grisly murders ("could your family be next?")

...religion has made some contributions to civilization. It helped in the early days to fix the calendar, and it caused Egyptian priests to chronicle ecplipses with such care that in time they were able to predict them. These two services I am prepared to acknowledge, but I do not know of any others

Future Canadian

Woo Hoo!! TOP!
This calls for an [a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-aLH2vKftU&search=trailer%20park%20boys"]SPJ[/a]

...religion has made some contributions to civilization. It helped in the early days to fix the calendar, and it caused Egyptian priests to chronicle ecplipses with such care that in time they were able to predict them. These two services I am prepared to acknowledge, but I do not know of any others

Sportsdude

Well it was part of the plot. Prison Break is the modern day fugitive. Successful brother commits a bank robbery so he can break his brother who was innocent in a murder involving the vice presidents brother (who actually is not dead, lives in a cabin in Montana).  The family that was killed was done by a rogue Secret Service agent who works for the Vice President (who is now the president after the president was assasinated).  But in the process of killing the guy who is on death's row family the rogue agent made the man who was found guilty for the VP's brothers death son the suspect.

Anyway the season ended with the team breaking out of prison and on the run and the president dying and the VP (she was the one behind everything) taking over. And the discovery of the now President's brother in Montana by a lawyer who works for the lincoln burrows (the guy orginally set up).  The rouge Secret Service guy has tried and failed to kill her for trying to uncover the truth.

Its pretty violent but it plays out like a big giant suspense movie.  Its a very unpredictable show.
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."