Canadian Prison guards get $15,000 raise

Started by Sportsdude, Jun 27 06 02:31

Previous topic - Next topic

Sportsdude

[DIV class=headline]Prison guards get $15,000 raise

[DIV class=pubdate]Jun. 27, 2006. 04:54 PM

[DIV class=byline]CANADIAN PRESS[/DIV]
 [DIV class=articlebody][!-- icx_story_begin --]OTTAWA — Canada's 6,000 correctional officers have agreed to a new contract after a bitter, four-year labour dispute.  

Almost 90 per cent of the voting membership of the Union of Canadian Correctional Officers endorsed the deal with Treasury Board, which will see labour peace until May 2010.  

The prison guards at 54 facilities had been without a contract since June 2002 but were not allowed to strike because they provide an essential service.  

The deal improves health, safety and overtime standards and raises the starting salary for a correctional officer to $49,000 annually, up from $34,000. Veteran workers see their wages rise to $62,000 a year from $50,000.  

Treasury Board President John Baird welcomed the ratification vote and called the contract "fair and reasonable compensation for valuable work."[/DIV]
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Sportsdude

62,000 A YEAR!!! WOW!

My mom is a teacher and reached her peak wage at 68,000.

Wow, prison guards here get paid like 15 dollars an hour. Thats why there is a huge drug problem in the prisons.    
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Some Chick

I think that people that have to deal with the dregs of our society should be making more than I do sitting at my desk, working a bit, surfing a bit, working a bit.  The only nastiness I have to deal with is a smelly bathroom if someone has been there before me.

jeffbc

Being a prison guard seems like doing time with pay. And you couldn't pay me enough.
I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
Hunter S. Thompson