World Cup Fever

Started by Lise, Jun 23 06 08:56

Previous topic - Next topic

Lise

In downtown. Everywhere you look, a bunch of guys crowd around a television, watching the box like hawks. ESL kids wearing their team jerseys and color, screaming at the big screen tv at the food court. A country gone bananas..... considering Canada didn't even make it.

And what's the point of playing the World Cup Soccer? You know Brazil's going to win. Why not just hand over the cup to them and be done with it?

Well, at any rate.... I'm rooting for the underdogs. GO GHANA!!
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

Dissident

Don't count out Italy.  They always play dirty.  My ex-husband was European, I learned all about the Italians and the Spanish teams . . .  
fenec rawks!

Sportsdude

Actually I don't think Brazil is going to make it.  They don't seem to play well in Europe for some reason and the pressure seems to get to them there.  
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Lise

Really? I thought they won in every division to date.

At any rate, I'll be screaming for anyone other than Brazil.
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

Sportsdude

Well the big favourites other than Brazil seem to be Germany, Holland, Argentina.

Germany and Argentina will be playing each other soon after the first round if there aren't any upsets. They would play in the second round.

Lise you should be rooting for the Aussies. Somehow they've gotten lucky and luckier. They play Italy which is under a big cloud of suspicion over game fixing in Italy. If some players get named they will be arrested and or taken off the team. If the Aussies pull it off they'd play the winner of the swiss-ukraine game who are beatable. Then they would be HUGE under dogs in the semi's because they'd either be playing Argentina or Germany. If they pull that off there in the final. If that happens it will be the biggest World Cup story of all time.

Marik

I'm just glad Korea didn't make it into the next round. Every single Korean I've talked to refused to believe they got lucky last tournament. Gee, did they forget they were playing on home soil? That gives them a big advantage too.  

kingy

from looking at the elimination bracket. it looks like italy has the easiest games to the finals.

Gopher

Potential winner? For me, either Germany or Argentina  
A fool's paradise is better than none.

Sportsdude

Anybody watching the Argentina - Mexico game. WoW. 1-1 in the first 10 mins. The game also has political affects on Mexico.  They've an election this week that is crucial.  If they loose the voters will be depressed and might want change and vote for the leftist mayor of Mexico City while if they win they might want to keep status quo and stay with the ruling party.  Believe it or not this has happend before to other nations after a World Cup.