3-D Murals

Started by Moolah!, Jun 23 06 06:45

Previous topic - Next topic

Moolah!

I'll post a couple of them here... you can see the rest at: [A href="http://www.yumlum.com/posted/wall-paint.htm"]http://www.yumlum.com/posted/wall-paint.htm[/A]

*  Please unban me!! please please please  *

TehBorken

Cool stuff, Raging Poodle.

Here's a fave:

The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

kitten

Those are incredible paintings!  Thanks for the link.  
Thousands of years ago cats were worshipped.  They have not forgotten.

kitten

Now that one is just plain weird, TehBorken.  Fascinating, but definitely weird.

Sportsdude

Its about time painting catches up with computer graphics.  Game systems are moving into photo realism that blurs the line between whats real and fake so why can't painting.

P.S. I love it when cities paint giant murals on brick buildings. Sadly that seems to be a lost art in the western world.
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

purelife

These paintings are created by the art of using an airbrush, right?

Thanks for the cool pictures and the link.  Love 'em.  

Dissident

They don't necessarily have to be created with an airbrush.  There's a region in Italy where most of the details (cornices, arches, decorative stonework) have been traditionally done in paint in a "trompe l'oeil" style—it dates back past the Palladian period, if I remember correctly.  When I lived in SF I did a scoring gig with a guy who was doing a BBC documentary on the subject.  It's fascinating.  Thanks to historical preservation, there's a whole guild of artistic decorator types in this region who do nothing but create these "architectural details" in paint.  From what I can tell, they use traditional techniques—in other words, no airbrushes.  The more modern "photographic" ones probably do.

From what I've seen in old palaces in Europe where they have this type of painting, the old techniques are actually a lot more convincing.  The less "detailed" the image, the more the eye and the brain "fill in".  That's why they still look so good, even centuries later.

I'm with you, Sportsdude.  I wish they did more of that–especially those "big box" places:  what better place to put a nice mural?  You'd think they would figure out that doing such things would help their PR (though it doesn't make up for the fact that they treat their employees like shit, it doesn't hurt to give some mural artists a gig here and there, either).    A lot of cities mandate that a certain percentage (usually something like 1%) of public works budgets (and some private projects as well) go to artwork on the site.  That's why you see interesting (and not so interesting, I must admit) sculptures in front of power stations and crappy office buildings.  For example, there's a big stone sculpture in front of the BofA building in SF that has become known locally as "the banker's heart" (God knows what the original name was).  Why don't they insist on spending a similar percentage on decorating these warehouse-style stores?  Imagine a Lowe's or Target with a pretty mural on the front.  I may not be more inclined to spend money there, but it would be nice to see on the occasion that I have to traverse the faceless (and characterless) suburbs where these behemoths tend to congregate . . .

fenec rawks!

kingy

i would totally do a wile coyote and run right into one. they look pretty real.

P.C.

I totally missed this one.  Excellent.
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Some Chick

Sidewalk art

[img height=448 src="http://www.rense.com/1.imagesH/artt1.jpg" width=672 align=bottom NATURALSIZEFLAG="3"]

Some Chick

This one is pretty good too.

kitten

Great work.  I still don't believe that Coke bottle....even a shadow!