Harper won't attend opening of AIDS forum in Toronto

Started by Sportsdude, Jun 23 06 04:14

Previous topic - Next topic

Dissident

Sportsdude wrote:
Its a growing issue something you probly haven't seen because you live outside of the country or grew up on the west coast where this trend is not common place.

The family members I was quoting live in the mid-Atlantic seaboard region and adjacent Midwestern states, and I last visited them in 2003.  I am still in touch with some of them (though not the cousin who raised money for Rick Santorum's first campaign, but most of the others) and they feel the same way as they always have.  I can say the same for people I know who still live in the Deep South and Southern California who vote Republican.  It's an economic issue, period.

I also have known a lot of self-described "born-again Christians" who have their own personal ethics but personally disagree with a lot of their church "leaders" in that they don't believe that they have a right to inflict their beliefs upon others . . .

Canada has been slow in areas but that was eons ago (maybe not from your perspective but from mine it certainly is).

You try living here as somethings besides a white male and then you can talk to me about this issue.

There has been a cultural shift to the hard right and if you can't see that well I'm sorry.

Sweetheart, I hate to pull rank, but I'm probably old enough to be your mother.  I've seen more, experienced more, and I lived in a lot of different places in the US (some not far from where you are now).  I know something about where you live and I understand that it's miserable (the last time I travelled through your hometown I was shocked that the clerk in the gas station/convenience store I visited actually had a smoldering cigarette next to her, and that I had to inhale her fumes—this was only three years ago), but it doesn't necessarily represent the whole Midwest, the whole US East of the Rockies, or the whole US in general.

If there's anything I learned from the Reagan-Bush era of the 80s it's that it is the most vocal and fascistically well-organised (in modern terms, the sheep-like religious Right) that get their voices heard—but it is a true "silent majority" (to make ironic use of Nixon's reactionary terminology from the 60s) that populates the US and makes up the more moderate bulk of the population.  Why do you think that the last two Presidential "elections" were expected to be so "close"?  Is it perhaps because the huge number of swing voters not only can't make up their minds between two truly abhorrent candidates, but also because they don't fit into the kind of pigeonholes the media (and you) want to put them into?  That's a far cry from the lockstep jackbooted Christian activists that you (and the media) are portraying to the rest of us.

I'm reminded of a recent German movie I saw about the WWII period—forgive me if I can't remember which one.  A character who suffered under the Nazis was asked why he didn't leave.  His answer:  "I was waiting for the Germans to return."  In other words, the ones who weren't total fanatics and the stupid sheep who just followed along with them.  That's the way I look at the American people—and I believe that, despite all the bullshit that's happening now, the better part of us will prevail.  Just as some college students I knew in the early 80s thought that the world had come to an end when Reagan was elected, and found later that all was not lost.

I'm just finishing up a biography of Germaine de Staël, the famous 18th- and early 19th-century saloniste whose career predated the French Revolution, and whose republican sentiments and writings caused her to be exiled by Napoleon.  A passage I read the other day from this book particularly struck me:

"Compared to what the world has known since, Napoleon's régime seems mild and humane; but to one who remained faithful to the hopes of the eighteenth century, the world of 1810 was a nightmare of brute force.   War was permanent:  it had gone on for eighteen years.  From Spain to Poland, from Amsterdam to Corfu, French soldiers were garrisoned, levying tribute and imposing the will of one man.  With the Continental System and the blockade war had become total, with no end in sight, engulfing all human energy:  the arts had to glorify the régime; philosophy and education must function as tools of conformity; science was enlisted to create synthetic substitutes.  Resistance was punished by demotion, exile, imprisonment and, in the conquered countries, the firing squad.  The year 1810 marked the beginning of a new phase in systematic oppression.  Napoleon created state prisons, where inmates were held without trial, decreed drastic new censorship laws, and deprived the Church of its last vestige of independence.  The Pope himself was arrested and hustled off to Savona.  If his plans had succeeded, said Napoleon in 1816 [in other words, after his defeat—in case you didn't know], he 'would have become the master of the religious as well as of the political world.'"

That was just five years before his defeat.  Since then worse despots have gone down as a course of history and general opinion against them.  Bush and his machine will go down too.

Don't tell me I don't know what it is or where it comes from because I've seen it too.  And it's here in Canada as well, as much as you'd like to believe otherwise.

But it will not prevail.  Simple human decency dictates that.  If you're really worried about that, then get off the computer and do something real in your own community—or go to one in which your efforts can bear fruit.

Just as the border insulates me from living with the Christian Right 24/7, so your geography isolates you from those as near as the Northern Midwest (and yes, I am in close contact with friends there, too) who believe as you do.

One last point:  even my friends in the Midwestern US are shocked at the kind of sexism I've had to deal with here in Canada.  As a white male, you are in no position to comment on the kind of oppression and regressive attitudes I've confronted here.  I have made part of my living in a male-dominated field since long before I left the US, and I have never encountered the repression and shockingly outdated views of women that I have here in Canada—and if you put yourself in my shoes for 24 hours you might sing a different tune, you little pissant.

fenec rawks!

Sportsdude

"One last point:  even my friends in the Midwestern US are shocked at the kind of sexism I've had to deal with here in Canada.  As a white male, you are in no position to comment on the kind of oppression and regressive attitudes I've confronted here.  I have made part of my living in a male-dominated field since long before I left the US, and I have never encountered the repression and shockingly outdated views of women that I have here in Canada—and if you put yourself in my shoes for 24 hours you might sing a different tune, you little pissant."

Oh like being a white male somehow makes me immune. MY ASS! I've been called a 'n***er lover' because I went to an all black school. Was told "isn't getting rough up there" in response that I went to an all black school in a part of the county that has shifted from a white neighbourhood to a mostly black one and the white people have moved to a county over.  I've been called a "Satan worshiper" by pro-lifers at a catholic school and a lutheran school because I was a democrat.  I have constantly put up with my relatives calling muslims turbin heads, dirty mexicans and china men.  I DARE not tell anyone around here that I've asked out girls who weren't white. Accidentally sad that to one of my friends and he gave me a weird look.  I've been told that I was going to burn in hell, and was called filth of the earth. You maybe older but for my 20 YEARS of living so far I've have experinced so much crap that a normal human being my age can't even being to understand.  I've seen constant racial profiling. I got pulled over once because I was driving through a neighbourhood with a friend of mine who happend to be black, we were searched.  People see inter-racial relationships as the devil.  I've seen public support for abortion clinc bombers "Doing God's will".  The same friend that gave me the weird look about my attempt at inter-racial dating wanted to egg the Planned Parenthood. He calls anybody thats not pro-life PRO DEATH.
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Sportsdude

You know what I'm sick and tired of older people telling me I'm wrong.  I've walked in your shoes Dissident I've been on both sides.  I know what I'm talking about.  I doubt you've ever seen real racial tensions. Well I have.  I doubt you've seen fights that were all started because some white guy did something stupid and caused a riot.  I've seen people bomb a local hindu temple thinking it was a muslim temple.  People want to kill all the muslims here.

In high school I was on the football team.  The team was all black except for 4 kids. I was one of the 4 kids that wasn't black. In reality I was the only real 'white' kid because the other 3 lived in the city.  I was the only 'white kid from the burbs'.  We were the best team in the state and to get pumped for a game we would play the race card. And 5 games the race card wasn't a ploy but a fact.  The Quarter finals in the state tournament we were number 1 in the state but somehow had to travel to the boot heel of the state.  We went past cotton fields. Everyone was quiet, they had never seen cotton fields before.  We get off the bus play the game we win but there was this section called the 'dog pound' that constantly yelled racial slurs at anyone with opposing team colours. White or black race in america doesn't matter anymore. Now its a oh you live in the 'city'.  We asked for the group to get arrested but the authorities laughed at us.
Used to tape Varsity girls games and against the sister lutheran school which was all white and in the suburbs I got on tape (showed it to the coach) parents on the other team yelling racial slurs at my schools players. This went on the entire game and it wasn't isolated it happend again and again.

I've been made fun of because I came from the rich part of town even though I lived in a smaller house then the people making fun of me.

On a Youth trip to Atlanta, a couple of people in my group acted gay, so they could get there black roomate who was from a differnt church to leave them alone so they could party.  They did this every day. Even in the middle of the night.  I've stood up for gay people before and have been called a fag for it.  Can't even tell half the stuff that I've seen or been through fearing blacklash.

Dissident

Sportsdude wrote:
Oh like being a white male somehow makes me immune. MY ASS!

Let me put it this way:  you walk into a place by yourself where no one knows you, you are a white male.

I walk into a place where no one knows me:  I am a woman.

I spent the better part of the day today dealing with building subcontractors.  My ex-husband was one, and I speak their language.  Even so, I had a much harder time than I should have—because what does a woman know about these things after all?

One of these guys, who had been fairly reasonable and fair-minded—and who was around my age—made some comment about running into someone he had known in high school nearby, was I from this part of town, had I gone to one of the schools in the area?  I tried to put him off with vague denials until he finally forced me to admit that I had gone to school in the US.  Shortly thereafter he handed me a bid that was several hundred dollars above the other ones I had received for the exact same job.

It's all appearances and assumptions.  Just as I can never truly understand what it's like going through life as a non-white person, you can not understand what it is like to live as a woman—or to live as an American in Canada unless you do it yourself.

fenec rawks!

Dissident

Sportsdude wrote:
 I've walked in your shoes Dissident I've been on both sides.  I know what I'm talking about.  I doubt you've ever seen real racial tensions. Well I have.

Probably while you were still in diapers I lived in LA.  Try walking into a hardware store and you are the only female and white person there.  The hate was palpable.  All I wanted to do was buy a few screws, fer Chrissake. This was in the mid-80s.  Oh, and try going into a hardware store in two different Chinese neighbourhoods in San Francisco to get something you need for your job as an apartment manager.  It's us "uppity white women" who "act like men" and are responsible for their women running off with white men, or so they used to tell me . . .

Don't talk to me about racism . . .

I was gay-bashed even before there was a word for it.  Even though I'm straight, just because I played sports and was intelligent and outspoken in my teens I was beat up for being a dyke.  Once again, this was in the mid-80s.

Just learn some perspective, that's all I'm trying to say.  Just because it seems so bad to you now, if you talk to anyone who has really been there, it isn't as bad as you think.

Similarly, if I had taken the time to talk to someone who had really been here in Canada (aside from my very conformist and middle-class brother, whom I didn't believe, and now I rue the day that I ever discounted his opinions) I probably wouldn't have put myself through the last four years . . .

fenec rawks!

Sportsdude

Its not just me. My mother grew up in a farming community she was the only woman in her class to graduate.  She went off to Chicago, on her own, lived in the south side on her own, and took critism because she was a woman.  Her grandfather was against her going to school because he said women don't belong in school.  All her friends got preggo, been divorced a few times and wonder why she didn't have kids really early.  Last time I checked I had an X chromosome and she was my mother.

My dad grew up in an immigrant family from Hungary.  He heard constant racial slurs from his nieghbours.  He was called a nazi everyday in school. He was looked down upon.  Even though my grandmother was in a concentration camp after the war by the soviets and his aunt escaped at night under the wall before it was built and his dad diserted the german army somewhere in Austria. Last time I checked my dad was my father.

My sister was born deaf or didn't have the processing to hear or talk. She has severly learning disabilities and is the beyond shy. She struggles but she has come along way considering doctors said she would never talk and thought she was deaf.  She's been treated horribly by people because she can't talk in public. I admire her courage but its a struggle to even talk to her relatives.

Also  grandpa from hungary was born in a shack, lived on dirt floors and was so low in society they were almost gypsies in Hungary.

My other grandpa was born into poverty in southern illinois. Father was a drunk, him and his 6 siblings lived in a 2 room house. He was made fun of because of where he lived had hot boiling water dumped on his head by a bunch of deliquents.

Dissident

What, you want to get into a "suffer-off"?

You want to know why I don't like Hungarians?  I was engaged to a Hungarian Jew who, despite my use of birth control, knocked me up and was ready to marry me until his mother objected—because my father was Jewish and my mother wasn't and that doesn't count?  What it was really about was the fact that my parents were academics and didn't make the big money they were hoping their son would marry into.

Big f*cking deal.  And that's minor in the course of my life, for f*ck's sake.

What does that have to do with the political situation in the US and Canada, which is the subject of this thread?

Especially as it has to do with AIDS.  Want to know how many people I've literally watched die of AIDS?  Having been a performing artist in San Francisco during the height of the AIDS crisis I can tell you a lot.  But does that have anything to do with Harper's actions in the year 2006?

You have to look at the meta-issues, dude.  Otherwise, it's a huge paradox, and you get lost in the details.

Europeans blame North Americans' Puritanistic view of sex as a major stumbling block to rational public policies as regards HIV (the Clinton years notwithstanding).  Yet it was my totally Anglo-Saxon Puritan uncle with his three degrees from Harvard that he's so proud of who told me in the midst of the AIDS crisis that he was thankful for it "because it mostly hit the homosexuals and drug addicts, and it thinned them out".  I almost ran my car off the Bay Bridge when he told me that.  From his point of view, of course, it was perfectly sound fiscal public policy.

Follow the money.  That's where it all goes.

fenec rawks!

Sportsdude

sorry that we were yelling through words. Just once though could you say anything good about where you live.  You sound like the female version of Swan Dive. (He was a DV'er who only complained about Vancouver and wanting to leave it).

I'll start with St. Louis. I like the mornings here. The trees, the deer, and the bikers. Its great while I'm driving around doing my work to see the world getting up. Its fascinating. And its not hot out.  In my job you tend to become a morning person and realise how long the morning actually lasts considering most of the world gets up and starts moving at 8 when the sun has been out for 3 hours before that. Those 5-8 days are nice.

I like this one park I go to, its on a flood plain, its got a huge but shrinking lake, bike paths galore.

Dissident

Just as in Seattle when the clouds part and you can see Mt Rainier, Vancouver is pretty when you can see the mountains.  Keep your eyes in the clouds and every place is nice.  In other words, this is a nice place to visit, but . . .

SD:  go to Chicago, St Paul, even Milwaukee—someplace else where you'll be more comfortable.

Take my advise:  get away from your family dysfunctions and get a chance to live your own life.  You'll be able to separate your experience from your surroundings and figure out what it is that isn't working.  I'd suggest San Francisco, but you have to be a millionaire to live there any longer.

Or try Europe, or Australia.  Very likely, if  you're like me, with some distance you'll start to appreciate the good things about the US once you're away from all the bad stuff.  Baseball.  Jazz. Soul music. Even (gasp!) some aspects of Southern culture.  One of the best afternoons I spent here in Vancouver was with a gay black male from New Orleans (post-Katrina) where we talked for hours about the hypocrisy of both the American and Canadian governments—that is, when we weren't arguing about who was the better jazz or gospel singer, from our respective points of view (or whether Roberto Clemente or Hank Aaron was the bettter ballplayer).

I listen to some good early Ray Charles and it all doesn't matter.   Or some mid-career Ella Fitzgerald or Frank Sinatra.  Pain is pain,  Joy is joy.  I made my life in the arts, which transcend everything.  Hitler and people like him may have attempted to suppress some of the most profound artistic expressions known to us, but they endure and we see, hear and feel them.  Walk away from a performance of Mahler or Bach and tell me you felt nothing.

These things go back from before our ancestors and their oppressors were born.  At the same time, most the things we find the most moving are born of the same genre of struggle as people are facing now.  My ex-husband was a "freedom-fighter" (though a certain governments allied with the US probably still classify him as a terrorist), and through him I learned the power that art, literature and music have to motivate people—especially when they don't dwell on the differences, but on the potential to unite people on devotion to higher causes.

My point in all these posts is that it is the stupid, tiny things that bring us all down into that place where we hurt one another.  Obviously, as a communist, I'm going to blame the Capitalist machine, but essentially it all has to do with "what is mine and how do I keep others from encroaching on it"?  On the West Coast the factions wear different masks and use different names than those on the East Coast, those in the South or those in the Midwest.

Yet we all get up in the morning, we all look out at the same sky (which is miserably grey here in Vancouver most of the time, hence our native pessmism) and we all make our decisions about how we feel about where we are and how we feel about our lives as we get out of bed and begin our days.

Even with the most conscious effort it is difficult at times to look beyond what is in your immediate vicinity, or what you see on some flat screen in front of you.  Most of us are so busy keeping body and soul together to look much further beyond that, or to do our own research.  We're tired.

The nice thing is that we can look beyond this to the rare occasion when we meet someone with whom we can communicate without a lot of explanation, or someone who has been through what we have.  We can start to understand that, in spite of all the negativity that the media feeds us (and that we displace on other people in our surroundings) there are people who share similar hopes and aspirations for the populace in general; and when we raise our eyes above the stupid petty differences we see that we have much more in common than we had realised.

Some of the friends I lost in the AIDS holocaust in the 90s had been members of religious communities—both Catholic and Anglican—before they decided to realise themselves as gay members of society.  Sadly enough, as soon as they had done so, both the religious communities that had formed their identities since puberty and their families had nothing further to do with them, even when they were dying.  Yet there were religious and social communities in San Francisco that were ready to receive them, and they formed  their own "families of choice" based on real emotional ties that were totally divorced from biological determinism.

btw, sadly enough, I see little evidence of the potential for that here in Vancouver, despite the liberal laws—and I've done some work for AIDS charities here (and I have friends who may be in a position eventually to make use of those services), so I've some idea of what the situation is here.  Talk about stepping back 20 years  or so.  Even Mississippi probably makes better provisions for people with HIV than the GVRD,  but I digress . . .

I'm suggesting that you look beyond national differences—certainly those that separate us in North America or in the West in general—and find a plane of commonality that will take you out of the slough of despond in which you feel you dwell now.  You won't find it by crossing simple national boundaries, or possibly even ideological ones.  Very likely you'll find yourself making personal and ideological compromises when you do so—however, when you do find those you can communicate and work with, best of luck to you.

fenec rawks!