Ottawa promises street-racing crackdown

Started by Sportsdude, May 25 06 01:09

Previous topic - Next topic

Sportsdude

[DIV id=headline] [H2]Ottawa promises street-racing crackdown[/H2]

[DIV id=author] [P class=byline]TERRY WEBER

[P class=source]Globe and Mail Update

[UL class=columnistInfo][/UL]

[DIV id=article style="FONT-SIZE: 100%"] The federal government will introduce new legislation this spring aimed at cracking down on street racing by making the practice a criminal offence and imposing minimum sentences for those convicted, Prime Minister Stephen Harper said Thursday.

Mr. Harper made the announcement at RCMP headquarters in Vancouver. The proposal follows changes urged by the late B.C. MP Chuck Cadman, who had introduced a private member's bill designed to combat the problem.

"Street racing is not for the amusement of the youth," Mr. Harper told reporters, announcing the move. "It's a very dangerous activity, and too often it ends up with deaths."

[DIV class="bigbox ad" id=boxR] [SCRIPT type=text/XXXXscript ads="1"]aPs="boxR";[/SCRIPT]  [SCRIPT type=text/XXXXscript]var boxRAC = fnTdo('a'+'ai',300,250,ai,'j',nc);[/SCRIPT]

The planned legislation would create a new Criminal Code offence for street racing. Mr. Harper promised that offence would be accompanied by stiffer sentences.

Secondly, the legislation would introduce driving prohibitions for those convicted.

Mr. Cadman, who died in July after a battle with skin cancer, had been a long-time proponent of victims' rights and had drafted private-member's bills demanding stiffer penalties for both street racing and auto theft.

In recent months, a number of cases involving street racing have grabbed headlines across the country.

In January, a Toronto cab driver was killed when his vehicle was hit during an alleged street race by two teenagers.

Later the same month, four people were killed in Vancouver in another incident.

Speaking with reporters, Mr. Harper said mandatory sentences envision under the new legislation would involve "a series of escalating penalties that would involve combinations of imprisonment and driving prohibitions."

"You'll have to wait for the bill to get the details," he said. "But there will be some kind of mandatory penalties."

Ottawa has already promised mandatory sentences in other areas, notably for gun-related crimes, and has moved to end conditional sentences.

Asked Thursday if the Conservative government's move toward mandatory penalties suggests a lack of faith in Canada's judiciary, Mr. Harper said: "I think what we're trying to say is that serious offences require some consistency and require some minimum standard of penalty."

"There's still lots of flexibility left in the law after this and every one of these bills we're putting forward," he said.

"The maximums in most cases are far above the minimums that we're insisting upon."

Thursday's news conference came as Mr. Harper faces an escalating battle with the national media over the manner in which news conferences are held.

Asked about that issue, Mr. Harper called it "all inside-Ottawa stuff" and suggested it is of little importance to most Canadians.

"I don't think the public cares," Mr. Harper said. "So I think it's unfortunate, but that's something the press gallery is going to have to work out among itself."

[/DIV]
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Sportsdude

Wait I'm confused?? Isn't this provincial jursdiction?

"Street racing is not for the amusement of the youth," Mr. Harper told reporters, announcing the move. "It's a very dangerous activity, and too often it ends up with deaths."

Well teens do it because its dangerous and there's always that death factor so Mr. Harper it kinda is for there sick amusement.

The federal government will introduce new legislation this spring aimed at cracking down on street racing by making the practice a criminal offence and imposing minimum sentences for those convicted

Great more people in prison. I got a better idea, just take their licence away, for good.  Last thing we need is more people in prison.  Unless people are killed, then put them prison.      

Thursday's news conference came as Mr. Harper faces an escalating battle with the national media over the manner in which news conferences are held.

Asked about that issue, Mr. Harper called it "all inside-Ottawa stuff" and suggested it is of little importance to most Canadians.

"I don't think the public cares," Mr. Harper said. "So I think it's unfortunate, but that's something the press gallery is going to have to work out among itself."

I care, I want to know EVERYTHING.

kitten

Taking their licences away is rather pointless.  Most of them are driving without a proper licence already because they've been suspended.  A heavy, and I do mean HEAVY fine might be the only way to discourage a lot of them.  And then there are the kids who take their parent's cars without permission because they have never had a licence.  Or they steal the cars and go joyriding.  There's quite a lot of that around here.
Thousands of years ago cats were worshipped.  They have not forgotten.

Sportsdude

Well then thats a little differnt.  I'd still go with the heavy heavy fine (like oh lets say 3,000 - 5,000 loonies that will hit their wallet pretty hard because after all most of the kids street racing around here anyway are really rich) and  put them on community service for about 1,000 hours and make them work in downtown eastside only. But I wouldn't stop there they could never drive ever again. Its a priviledge not a right, they could never buy or own a car and if they are ever caught or seen driving a car then its 5 to 10 years in prison depending on severity and fines between 10,000 to 50,000 dollars.  

kitten

It sounds good, but some of them are from rich families and that sort of money would be dismissed as operating expenses.  The rest of them would never see that kind of money, and the fine would never be paid.  As far as a lifetime ban is concerned, the courthouse is more like a revolving door where they are given a slap on the wrist and told to behave themselves.  Unless there are established penalties applied to all, regardless of circumstances, that no lawyer can get around, there will continue to be one law for the rich and another for the poor.  

Gopher

How about taking away the driving licences of their parents?
A fool's paradise is better than none.

kitten

There are a lot of kids that wouldn't be a bit worried about it.

Gopher

A fool's paradise is better than none.

kitten

Sure they would, but a lot of the time they don't even know where their kids are to begin with.