Anti-smoking spokeswoman succumbs to lung cancer

Started by Sportsdude, May 22 06 09:02

Previous topic - Next topic

Sportsdude

I have no problems with assisted suicide.

Yeah the de-seg schools thing was a landmark supreme court case. The de-seg program which is still used today. Buses black kids into the white suburbs to the all white schools. The problem with it is that if you are white and live in the city you are SOL. Another problem is that it only makes racial issues a bigger problem. Out of a 1,500 student high school for example about 200 or so are black kids. And they don't mingle during lunch hours. Heck I was only one of a few people to actually sit with the 'city kids' during lunch mainly because the rich white kids didn't get along with me.
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Sportsdude

Oh and its John Ashcroft not Richard. Got him confused with the singer.

Dissident

Sportsdude wrote:
I have no problems with assisted suicide.

Yeah the de-seg schools thing was a landmark supreme court case. The de-seg program which is still used today. Buses black kids into the white suburbs to the all white schools. The problem with it is that if you are white and live in the city you are SOL. Another problem is that it only makes racial issues a bigger problem. Out of a 1,500 student high school for example about 200 or so are black kids. And they don't mingle during lunch hours. Heck I was only one of a few people to actually sit with the 'city kids' during lunch mainly because the rich white kids didn't get along with me.

That's sad to hear, SD.  I worked with a couple of women who were in high school in the 70s:  one in Seattle, one in NM.  The one in Seattle was part of a voluntary busing program--the school district created all sorts of new programs in the historically black schools to attract white students, so she ended up attending a high school that was about 80% black.  She graduated a year early, and said that she learned a lot more about black culture than she would have otherwise, but that students from the two races did not mix--even on the sports teams she was involved in.  The one from New Mexico was at a school that was predominantly "Spanish"--descendants of settlers who had been in the area for about 300 years (they used the term to differentiate themselves from more recent Mexican immigrants).  She was white and had a Spanish boyfriend, which was unusual, as the races pretty much kept to themselves in her school as well.

It's sad to see that's still going on.

From what I've seen here, even though racism is pretty well entrenched here, the younger kids I've known split more on class lines--like what you're describing.  Mind you, that doesn't stop their parents from getting all freaked out and thinking they're getting caught up in gang activity.

I'm just curious to know:  what do you think is responsible for this state of things?  Is it the media?  The government?

I can certainly attest to the fact that crimes against hate speech have significantly improved what I've seen around me, at least as far as public discourse goes.  The sort of behaviour that most people would have turned a blind eye to 20 years ago is in many places considered unacceptable now.

Why do you think that it's taking so long for things to change?

fenec rawks!

Sportsdude(timed out)

Well saint louis is never going to change. It always has been and will be a de facto community when it comes to racial lines. We are taught at a very young age about the horrors of North Saint Louis and East Saint Louis. Funny thing is I'm not talking to a friend at the moment because I guess he 'freaked out when I drove him around North Saint Louis and North Saint Louis County. We went by one of the notorious crime ridden communities in the area. But to me that is normal because I technically grew up in that area since my church was there and went to high school at a mainly all black private lutheran school nearby.

Public Transportation is a racial issue here. People don't want it going into the suburbs because it 'brings rift raft aka black people' into there neighbourhoods. No joke.  

Sportsdude

well its 2am and I'm tired. So I hope someone can pick this up or I'll pick this up tomorrow. 2 good threads in a row today the crime one and this. Makes me feel good.

Trollio

Dissident wrote:
Being white and middle class is bad enough karma without adding to it.

Uh... OK. Why is being "white and middle class" bad? Would you rather be Malian and in dire poverty?

one must be intelligent to get intelligent answers.
— bebu

Trollio

[span style="font-style: italic; color: rgb(0, 0, 191);"] Sportsdude wrote:[/span][br style="font-style: italic; color: rgb(0, 0, 191);"][div style="font-style: italic;"][span style="color: rgb(0, 0, 191);"]I had a friend (notice the had) who I ran into about a month ago and all of a sudden here he is smoking. I asked when did you start to smoke and he said about a year ago then I asked why and no joke this is what he said.  "Because its Fun". FUN?! You got to be f-ing kidding me. Geez you are suppose to grow up after high school but apparently one year out of it and he's gone backwards.[/span]

[/div]Yeah, and for real fun there's nothing like [span style="font-weight: bold; font-family: comic sans ms; color: rgb(68, 20, 21);"]CHAW[/span].

one must be intelligent to get intelligent answers.
— bebu

Sportsdude

Trollio wrote:
[SPAN style="FONT-STYLE: italic"]Dissident wrote:[/SPAN][BR style="FONT-STYLE: italic"][SPAN style="FONT-STYLE: italic"]Being white and middle class is bad enough karma without adding to it.[/SPAN]

Uh... OK. Why is being "white and middle class" bad? Would you rather be Malian and in dire poverty?

Well from my experience your always looked down upon as a rich kid even thou the people making fun of you live in bigger houses.  If you go to a city school here and you are from the county you get stereotyped and targeted by other people and kids.

kitten

As a rule, people will always look for someone to put down to give themselves a feeling of superiority.

*Except for the nice people at DS*
Thousands of years ago cats were worshipped.  They have not forgotten.

Sportsdude