Email Scams!

Started by Lise, May 08 06 12:55

Previous topic - Next topic

Lise

Anyone got email scams? Post your email scams here. This is what I found in my email box lately.

MR TOLA  WANG
ACCOUNTS MANAGER,
UBA NIG.PLC. LAGOS
NIGERIA.
TELE--234-8054-80-6579

ATTN Sir,

I am an Accountant with the (UNITED BANK FOR AFRICA)UBA
Nig. Plc. My name is MR TOLA  WANG. I am the Personal
Account Manager to one Engineer BRIAN MONROE a dual
National of the UNITED STATES, and of an AUSTRALIAN origin,
which he disclose to me and his personal
lawyer. He worked with the Ajeokuta Steel Rolling Company
in Nigeria.

My client and his wife were involved in an auto accident on
the 27st of october, 2004 and they both died after an
unsuccessful attempt by the medical doctors to rescue their
lives.

Since then, I have made several inquiries to his embassy to
locate any of my client's extended relatives, but this has
proved unsuccessful. Then after these several unsuccessful
moves, I and his lawyer decided that we should contact you
as the deceased next
of kin. The issue is not whether you have the same last or
surname or not, but the emphasis is just to present you by
me and his lawyer as directed by a magistrate court here in
Nigeria.

As his personal Account Manager,I and his lawyer have made
investigations and discovered that he did not state any
next of kin in all his documents with the bank.I have
contacted you to assist in being the beneficiary as the
next of kin to this sum of Fourteen Million Two Hundred
Thousand United States Dollars(US$14.2M) which
he deposited in a fixed deposit account in my Bank(UBA NIG.
PLC).The fact is that the fiscal policy regulating banks in
Nigeria, does not permit a fixed deposit account whose
owner is dead to remain unclaimed for a period of two
years. This is the reason I have to contact you in ernest
before the Federal Government of Nigeria get this huge sum
of money confisticated as an unclaimed
fund.

There will be a mutual agreement on how the percentage
sharing should be decided. But all these will happen after
you must have indicated your interest to assist us by
sending thefollowing:-
(1) Your full name and address
(2) Your private phone and fax
(3) Your bank account. You may be required to open a fresh
bank account for the purpose of this transaction, if you do
not want to use your already existing one.

I assure you that, as soon as you indicate your interest to
willingly assist us as the beneficiary, then I will go
ahead to detail you on the role you are required to play.
All I require is your honest cooperation to enable us see
this deal through. I guarantee that this will be executed
under a legitimate arrangement that will protect you from
any breach of the law. We also intend investing a huge
percentage of our share after sharing, into vaible
business opportunities in your country through your
assistance.If you are interested in this
transaction,please, strictly contact me on my email
address so that I could give you more details on the
workings of this transaction.

Best Regards

MR TOLA  WANG
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

Chicklet

Holy crap.  Do people actually fall for this stuff?  Unbelievable.
'In every group of human beings you will find a few specimens of below average intelligence, above average ego and spectacularly bad judgement.' - tenkani

Lise

Hiya Chicklet!

Apparently some ppl do. I can't understand why but for some reason, some ppl do buy into this crap and then realized, 'oh dear, maybe I shouldn't have done that.'
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

Chicklet

Hi back at ya Lise.

I know many scammers get the elderly with door to door and phone solicitations but you would think by now people would be so careful with the info they give up or take in on the web.  Go figure.  I guess to some people it just sounds so good and they get pulled in.
'In every group of human beings you will find a few specimens of below average intelligence, above average ego and spectacularly bad judgement.' - tenkani

TehBorken

I get literally dozens and dozens of these Nigerian scam emails every day. (52 so far today) They have all sorts of variations but in the end it's the same damn thing. Nigerian scammers, may they rot in hell.
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

Brad

Those nigerian scams have been around for a long time, they attempt to 'fish' into your ebay and paypal accounts as well, especially if you are a seller. Never follow a link from a suspicious email to a log in page.
Those 'free' ipods, however, ARE [span style="text-decoration: line-through;"]NOT[/span] a scam like everybody thinks. Of course it is not completely free, but it can get you an ipod for very cheap.
I was skeptical at first but I actually got the black 30gb video ipod and am now going for the digital camera. So easy, I have a feeling they will be changing the rules soon. This really works...Alot of the offers are ones that most of us are familiar with such as the Columbia house DVD or music club or the galleria shopping club. These alone are good offers but they use Gratis networks (freepay) to market for them. I know many people that have just signed up for these clubs without signing up with freepay first. Don't miss out, this is a win win situation.
This is what I did:
1. Register.
2. Use your second e-mail to protect against spam.
3. Complete one offer.
There is currently a really good one. That is the galleria "Shopping Program $1 Trial!" You will get a $25 Canadian Tire Gift Card for subscribing. You can cancel at any time within 30-days period. No purchase required, no strings attached. Just call 1-XXX-XXX-9808 to cancel your membership after signing for $25 Canadian Tire Gift Card. The club is worth keeping though as you get 20 percent off places such as best buy, futureshop, and home depot. You can get 20% off anything, even laptops, mp3 players, etc. I did this one for the ipod and the Columbia dvd club for the camera. I just give away the dvd's as gifts. In the end they work out to about $7-8 per dvd.

4. Ask 518 people to do the same. If you and five friends corroborate using the Canadian Tire deal, then the 4 gb nano, 30gb ipod video or 7.1 mp digital camera would cost a total of 6 dollars! Plus you get a bunch of worthless certificates.
You could even pay them 625 bucks each to complete the offer for you and it would still only cost $9,425!
5. Company will then ship the iPod or camera to you.
Please please research Google if in doubts. This is the real thing; don't miss out before they change the rules. The company is called Doofus networks (freepay in Canada). Lots of copycat companies popping up because of their success, but they are the most established.  The company makes money from their advertising sponsors who offer the deals so sending out a couple of ipods or digital cameras is no big deal to them.
Good luck everyone!
Check it out for yourself:
For the 30 GB ipod video or ipod nano: [a href="http://ipods.freepay.com/?r=27095769"]http://SCAM/?r=27095769[/a]
The 7.1 MP Canon digital camera or others: [a href="http://digitalcameras.freepay.com/?r=23769825"]http://[/a][a href="http://ipods.freepay.com/?r=27095769"]SCAM[/a][a href="http://digitalcameras.freepay.com/?r=23769825"].com/?r=23769825[/a]

Trollio

People who scam the elderly are on my list for slow, brutal extermination. If there are any such things as devils, they are among us in the forms of such people.  
one must be intelligent to get intelligent answers.
— bebu

TehBorken

Brad wrote:
 Those 'free' ipods, however, are NOT a scam like everybody thinks. Of course it is not completely free, but it can get you an ipod for very cheap.

[font style="color: rgb(255, 255, 0); background-color: rgb(0, 0, 0);" size="7"]SCAM.[/font]
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

Sportsdude

Not too long ago there was this elderly man going around apartments where latinos live in miami saying he was a doctor and his local clinc was giving door to door free breast screenings. About 5 young ladies fell for it but one who didn't and called the cops said that she began to get suspecious when he said he had to do this in private with the doors locked and boyfriends were not allowed to watch.  You would think that would give them a clue that something was wrong. Nope.  What tipped this person off was when he went to 'feel her up' he didn't put on plastic gloves.
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Mutilated Mind

Sportsdude wrote:
Not too long ago there was this elderly man going around apartments where latinos live in miami saying he was a doctor and his local clinc was giving door to door free breast screenings. About 5 young ladies fell for it but one who didn't and called the cops said that she began to get suspecious when he said he had to do this in private with the doors locked and boyfriends were not allowed to watch.
You would think that would give them a clue that something was wrong. Nope.
What tipped this person off was when he went to 'feel her up' he didn't put on plastic gloves.
------------------------------------------------------

So you think medics usually allow boyfriends to watch ?
Or perhaps you think they should ? :))