FemBots

Started by TehBorken, May 05 06 05:25

Previous topic - Next topic

TehBorken

[table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="600"][tbody][tr][td style="font-weight: bold;"]
[/td][td colspan="4" align="left" valign="top" width="590"][font style="font-weight: bold;" class="top1" size="4"]Korean Scientists Develop Female Android[/font]
 [/td][/tr][tr][td width="5"][img]http://img.hankooki.com/times/kt_space.gif" height="1" width="1"][/td][td valign="top" width="600"]
[font class="article" size="1"]By Kim Tae-gyu
 Staff Reporter[/font] [/p] [/p][div style="margin-top: 9px; margin-left: 9px; margin-bottom: 9px;"][font class="article"] [table align="right" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="6" width="200"] [tbody][tr][td bgcolor="#ebebeb"][img]http://photo.hankooki.com/newsphoto/2006/05/04/kt2200605041759320and.jpg" alt="" border="0"]
A child touches the female android named EveR-1 during an exhibition at the Seoul Education Culture Center, Thursday. /Yonhap  [/td][/tr][/tbody][/table] [/font][/div]  [font class="article"]Standing 1.6 meters tall and weighing about 50 kilograms, she can understand others, speak, blink with her eyes and makes several facial expressions. [/font] [font class="article"]But she is not human, rather an android developed by a team of South Korean scientists. It is only the second time in the world that an android has been developed _ Japan made the first one. [/font][/p] [font class="article"]The team, headed by Baeg Moon-hong, a senior researcher at the Korea Institute of Industrial Technology, Thursday took the wrap off the female android, named EveR-1, during an exhibition at the Seoul Education Culture Center. [/font][/p] [font class="article"]EveR-1, a combination of Eve and robot, looks just like a Korean female in her early 20s including her shape that is benchmarked against the nation's model. [/font][/p] [font class="article"]The human-sized robot can understand 400 words and make eye contact while talking via her lips that are synchronized with the pronunciation of words. [/font][/p] [font class="article"]Fifteen tiny motors embedded into her silicon face enable her to make a total of four expressions in tune with as many sentiments _ joy, anger, sorrow and happiness. [/font][/p] [font class="article"]From a distance, the android could be confused with a real, flesh and blood human being, according to Baeg. [/font][/p] [font class="article"]``EveR-1 amply demonstrates our robotic technologies are at the forefront in the world. We will continue to make efforts to advance,'' Baeg said. [/font][/p] [font class="article"]Only Japan was faster than Baeg's team in making an android as the country developed a life-size female robot in 2003, dubbed ACTROID. It cannot move because it is glued to the floor. [/font][/p] [font class="article"]Neither does EveR-1. The Korean robot can move the upper half of her body such as arms and hands but she cannot travel because her lower half is immobile. [/font][/p] [font class="article"]Baeg, who spent just 3 billion won in creating EveR-1 in a year, is looking to exceed his Japanese rivals by making the model move four limbs by late this year. [/font][/p] [font class="article"]``For now, EveR-1 can be employed as a guide robot at museums and department stores or as an educational model to read books to children,'' Baeg said. [/font][/p] [font class="article"]``But we are looking further ahead _ we are working on upgrading the android with the aim of making it move its legs by the end of this year. It will be able to sit down and stand up by then,'' he expects. [/font][/p]               [/p][/td][/tr][/tbody][/table]  
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

Lise

Why a woman? WHY NOT a cute guy? Geez. If they had invented a guy-bot, I'd be first in line to buy one... provided of course, he'd be able to do the laundry, cook, cleaning toilets, drive, earn good money etc. etc. etc.
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

tenkani

YES!!!

And we move one step closer to the dream.

Owning a female android is really the only reason I would work hard to make lots of money.

I'm so terribly excited right now that I can't stand up, and no, my feet aren't glued to the floor.
For thou art with me; thy cream and thy sugar they comfort me
Thou preparest a carafe before me in the presence of Juan Valdez
Thou anointest my day with pep; my mug runneth over
Surely richness and taste shall follow me all the days of my life
And I will dwell in the house of coffee forever.

Sportsdude

They'll make it a sex toy next. I garuntee it. A walking, talking, sexbot who doesn't say no.
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."